58 Apache from se ct.

58 Apache

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 2
Hello to all of you fine people out there. As you might have guessed I am a probie to the sight. From looking around I think all you guys are my kind of people. I am a 20 yr submarine service veteren and now 20 years of having a real job looking to rrtire soon and build old chevys to stay out of the wifes hair.I own a solid 64 El Camino project, a 58 Apache step side shortbed that is my summer driver, and a 67 mustang that is the wife's so she don't go near the good stuff. I have come to building race engines for local short track Late Model and open wheeled Modifieds. Lately I've started working on W blocks. I am doing a 348 with 6 deuces for a coupe that a friend has and then I one for the Apache. In closing I hope you guys can help esp: with carbs and linkage.:bow

348stroker

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 2
Welcome 58 Apache to the site! I must warn you we like pictures, projects, under construction, completed doesn't matter! :crazy :cool: :cool: You worked at Electric Boat? :scratch

k9hotrodder409

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 15
Welcome to the site.:clap You're gonna like it here.Great group of guys.:crazy My wife had a '59 Apache 3100 short bed back in the day. She drove that thing all over the place. It was a 4-speed w/a 235 6 cyl. It was gonna get a "W" but it got sold before we could pull it off. Lots of pics please ( some of us can't read ):roll:cheers:cheers

58 Apache

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 2
pictures are coming

Ya I worked at Electric Boat for 7 yrs.:crazy As for the pictures I have all the pictures in the world i just never get them developed. So ou people just moght be what I need to get off my duff and get them developed and post lots of piictures. For now I will leave one that takes up a lot of my project time.View attachment 14838[/ATTACH]

tripower

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 2
Welcome 58 Apache, Ever spend any time out here at Bangor or, been through Apache Junction....:roll:roll:roll Sorry had to throw that in....

vin 58

Supporting Member 1
Welcome 58 apache from NW CT. Is that Waterford speedbowl you race at. I knew a kid named Greg Peck that used to run a late model there. Anyway lots a good stuff on this site. Vin

58 Apache

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 2
Waterford Speed Bowl

Ya I remeber Peck. I am on the crew for now 3 time Track Champ.

WENGINE

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 2
Welcome aboard 58 Apaache:beerbang Retiring, Great cars and still racing to, boy that sounds like a charmed life:cheers Were you stationed in New London during you silent service days. Have a buddy I work with that was stationed there during the 60's on the George Bancrofft. Good luck with your build, Ken

58 Apache

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 2
Good Ole Navy times

I left the farm in 69 to get away from all that honest work from 5 am to 7 pm I got into submarines y the skin of my teeth. Once I got onboard my first Boat I dug down deep and became a real asset to many prfessions before deciding what i was going to do when I grew up. In my travels I have been to Hawii, Japan, Austriala, Virgin Islands, puerto Rico, Spain, Italy, Isreal, Egypt,England, Scotland, Holland, Norway, and last but not least the Persian Gulf. Most times the Boat ride was more fun then then arm pit ports you got to pull into becuase nobody whats a nuc sub in the neiborhood. Back in the early days before the iron curtin fell live underway was very different. This time of serving my country left no time to anything with the stash of cars I had 3 60 impala conv. a 58 impala conv a 56 stepside pickup and a barn full of British sports cars ( Healys mostly ). All of these wonderful got lost to the junk man while I was cone and my perants divorced and my mother cleaned up things. And now I search to find projects I can afford which are few and far between so I build engines for semi rich freind and trade services for what projects I have. To all you movie and TV buffs that see Sub movies none of them come close to knowing of how small they really are.

w ogden

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 2
Welcome aboard 58! You will find what you need on here for sure as well as a few "old salts" both sub and surface guys. I spent four years in Newport on an old tin can a long time ago.:)

Kdurgin

Well Known Member
Welcome aboard. I work at the Portsmouth Naval Shipyard and have been here for 26 years. The only thing we work on are the Subs. I have been to the base in Groton to work as well as Pearl Harbor. I have done nuclear refuelings on 6 or 7 of the 688 class boats here at the yard. We just deactivated the NR-1 too. I raced circle track for 13 years in Maine and New Hampshire at Beech Ridge, Oxford, Unity, Wiscasset, Lee and Bryar Motorsports Park ( now New Hampshire Speedway). Good luck with your future projects.