409hotrod49merc

cam question ???

• cam information

Votes: 1 100.0%
  • cam/spring combinations

Votes: 1 100.0%

• Total voters

409hotrod49merc

Hi Guys, my name is Steve, and I am an enthusiast that is still lost in the 50's, in the still of the night out in my shop a sleeping chopped, lowered, 49 mercury is coming to life.... with the heart and soul being a 409.... have been reading your forum for some time with great interest, and it is time to join in with questions. I'll start by telling you guys what I am working with, my block is a 3788068 truck block without the x (darn) .030, just out of the machine shop, using 10:1 r.c. cast molly coated shirt pistons.. heads are (817's) will use tri-power intake with large logo strombers 97's....transmission will be a 400 turbo, using 3:36 gears, with 23575r15 tires. (full moon discs of course)....just a rockabilly cruiser out of the 50's... I would like to come in at around 340 to 350 h.p., and I do understand using the truck block my compression will drop to 9:1.... my question is what cam/spring combo will get me close. ??
Is a comp #0950 cam out of the question ?? Thanks, Steve

409hotrod49merc

Thanks for the great info.....Steve
As I am trying to learn about navigating this site, I sure hope I don't punch a wrong key, I kinda feel dummer than a box of hammers...but it will get better...
Noticing your 409 pontiac, interesting to me, as I also love the pontiacs....My hope is to finish the merc. and start on a 57 pontiac chietan hardtop...one owner car...
The 347 is tired..... was thinking about a 348 that is setting in the corner of the shop...have a extra 409 crank, rods, 340 horse heads, how would that look setting down in the pontiac??? Thanks, Steve

Don Jacks

Well Seasoned Member
Supporting Member 3
Hi Steve,and welcome aboard.The cam you asked about should exceed your needs.It'll have a litle 'attitude"at idle,pull to about 5200,get decent mileage,and will amaze you wih the low-midrange torque.It's known as the Extreme Energy 262 ,and has been proven to be very satisfactory in 3 or 4 daily driver smallblocks that I've used it in.It's at the upper limit of duration@.050 whith the stock pistons in a "w" motor as far as piston to valve clearence goes.:hug

409hotrod49merc

Hi Steve,and welcome aboard.The cam you asked about should exceed your needs.It'll have a litle 'attitude"at idle,pull to about 5200,get decent mileage,and will amaze you wih the low-midrange torque.It's known as the Extreme Energy 262 ,and has been proven to be very satisfactory in 3 or 4 daily driver smallblocks that I've used it in.It's at the upper limit of duration@.050 whith the stock pistons in a "w" motor as far as piston to valve clearence goes.:hug

Thank you so much, you guys are great.......!!!

409hotrod49merc

Hi Don, what spring would you recommend for #0950 comp cam ?? The z-28 looks like 110 lb. @1.700 closed and 294 lb @ 1.210 open, any ideas ?? Thanks, Steve

Don Jacks

Well Seasoned Member
Supporting Member 3
Hi Steve,Personally,,I think that spring could work,but ,while more expensive,I prefer the Comp-Cams behive spring and retainer set-up.294 open seems a bit high with the lack of zinc in todays oils.I know thats what I'm going to use in my 348 stroker with the roller cam.

409hotrod49merc

Hi Steve,Personally,,I think that spring could work,but ,while more expensive,I prefer the Comp-Cams behive spring and retainer set-up.294 open seems a bit high with the lack of zinc in todays oils.I know thats what I'm going to use in my 348 stroker with the roller cam.

Thanks Don, I am heading out to the machine shop to pester my buddy David, the machinist, he's a great guy,and fellow musician, although he is a little more partial to the ford engines, he has done nothing but complain outbout my 409 block he just finished, he would rather talk vintage guitars, amazing after thirty years in the machine business he still has all his fingers.... I call him ol hook and claw, as he plays with a Chet Atkins syle, he's a funny guy... just not crazy about the w motors.. sure fun to aggravate him.... we'll talk valve springs..... Will look up your comp bee hives, Thanks again, Steve

Don Jacks

Well Seasoned Member
Supporting Member 3
:eekA Fo@d guy?????????????????,no accounting for some folks taste I guess:dunno.Just dont let him assemble it,it may run backwards.:laugh