409 mini starters

I'm building a stroker 409. I am planing on running a muncie 4 speed with a Lakewood Scatter Shield. I am curious what high torque mini starter everyone is using for this application if any?

I also need to know if these starters bolt to the scatter shield or block mount?

Along with this curious about header clearances with with a dougs tri Y or a shorty header.

Thanks!

yellow wagon

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 2
You need a block mount mini starter. Should work with the scatter shield no problem. Mine is from Napa. Ask for a mid-90s Chevy truck starter. Works great

A lot of guys here run the DB Electrical Mini Starter that is found on their website or eBay. I had issues with one of their alternators on my car that caused a fire and they told me to pound sand so ill never run any of their products on my car. But guys here like the starters

Dick MacKenzie

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 9
I know a couple others are running the DB Electrical mini starter. I've run one for a few years now. Can't beat the price but considering the problems Jason had with them I don't know if I would buy another or not. Using a mini makes installation a whole lot easier then the stock starter. Also, sounds like a Mopar starting but that doesn't bother me. A while back Mike suggested this one as "the best on the market" but I don't have any experience with it: http://www.robbmcperformance.com/products/chevy_starter.html

Question while I'm here. You didn't mention if you're putting it in an "X" frame car or a street rod.