409 heads

Dave.

So I HAVE TAKEN MY HEADS OFF TO HAVE MY STUDS FOR THE ROCKER ARMS THREADED BECAUSE OF ONE BEGAN TO MOVE OUT . THAT BEING SAI I ASK THE MACHINE SHOP HES ALSO A ENGINE REBUID SHOP IF I SHOULD USE THE OLD HEAD BOLTS .HE LOOKED AT THEM NOT THAT YOU COULD TELL IF THEY STRECHED HE SAID HE WOULD USE THEM OVER.IM IN MY SHOP AND FIGURE HE KNOES BUT IM LOOKING THE BOLTS THAT CAME OUT DID NOT HAVE THRUST WASHERS .HERE IS MY QUESTION SHOULDN’T THERE BE THRUST WASHERS ON THE HEAD BOLT .THERE WASN’T A PROBLEM BEFORE BUT MY LUCK I WILL HAVE ONE IF I PUT BACK THE WAY IT WAS. SHOULD I JUST BUY NEW BOLTS AND THRUST WASHERS.thanks

32witha409

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 3
You know that for the cost of a set of ARP head bolts and hard washers, it's a cheap way to improve the clamping force and get better consistency bolt to bolt when using the correct ARP lube under the heads and washers and sealant on the threads.
A must is to chase and bottom tap each hole with a good quality tap. Not just the head bolts but all manifold and water pump thread. Amazing how much buildup can collect in the holes over 65 years

Thread sealant .

1158514.JPG

Last edited:

Dave.

You know that for the cost of a set of ARP head bolts and hard washers, it's a cheap way to improve the clamping force and get better consistency bolt to bolt when using the correct ARP lube under the heads and washers and sealant on the threads.
A must is to chase and bottom tap each hole with a good quality tap. Not just the head bolts but all manifold and water pump thread. Amazing how much buildup can collect in the holes over 65 years

Thread sealant .

View attachment 150583
Thanks I did clean and run the tap In.the sealant thanks for the info