409 at Pikes Peak

wrench

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 15
unser's car

Here's somethin' strange.

The text of the article describes 61 Impala SS 409, yet looking closely at the photos, I see a 61 BelAir 2 door Sport Coupe with 409 painted on the fender tops. Now, one of these with a 409 would be a rare car indeed!

I wonder where this car is now?

Tom Kochtanek

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 13
Either one

Wrench, I would take either one in my garage!

Yes, the quarters scripts do look like they say "BelAir", but isn't that the Impala trim set running from the front fender, throught the door and then the quarter?

It's hard for me to see the rear trunk deck, which would tell us a lot (six versus four tail lights, SS badging, and so forth), but I would definitely like to see one show up at my house.

Now you've got me excited about working on my '61 BelAir sport coupe, which got pushed aside whilst I tackled the '62 Bubbletop project :)

On an other note, thanks to CPG for guiding me through a recent decsion to initiate the build on a stroker motor. The block came clean at .100", Aubrey hopefully was able to make his deadline to order the Ross pistons and ring package, and I'm looking through a bin this morning for a used forged steel 427 crank at my buddies' place :) :) :)

It's Satruday morning, the rains have brought the Midwest temps down below 100 degrees, and I'm back outside working on cutting the rest of that "more-door" car up. Life is good :)

Cheers,
Tom K

It's a Belair... but STILL cool !

Yeah, it's a Belair alright, but STILL very cool !
I see the picture is from 1967. I really doubt that car was originally equiped with a 409. Can be put in as the factory did.... just like I did with my 62 !

You bet, Tom:deal

CarlK60

Supporting Member 1
60 Poncho

I dont know about you guys but the first car i noticed was the 60 Catalina....Someday Ill have a 60 Pontiac, preferably a wagon. But a 61 BelAir Bubbletop with a 409......now THAT i could handle driving!!!!!