409/ 340HSP THERMOSTAT question

Iowa409

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 3
So I am in the process of putting my top end back together, Ihave been running a 195 thermostat.

I need to better understand this process.

My Coolant system: new 3 core champion radiator, enclosed single 12 inch fan, with shroud.
for control I have a switch screwed into the intake, that when heated goes to ground and closes relays etc.
Before I tore it down I monitored the temps closes at 195-198, switch closes and goes to ground ,fan shuts off and switch opens shutting fans down at about 180-185. That is with my 195 thermostat.

This radiator came with its own cap, so it was used.

As this car sits and runs and idles, I can hear my cap, perculating or knocking telling me Im reaching its abilities.

It might be better if the car was moving, but as it sits the temps tend to climb.

I am wondering if changing the thermostat to a 180 might help.

2nd question is whats the best way to burp air fron this system, the air pressure the last time made it really hard to get all the air out.
It finally self adjusted after the water cooled last time (the block), one option I was thinking about: I have under my filler neck a adaptor that has 1/2 plugs in it, one of my cars used to have a brass fitting
that screwed in there at thee thermostsat housing, with a bleeder valve? are those still around?

Im running the green colored antifreeze mixed 50/50.

This occurrs off high idle on normal idle at about 650-750 rpms.

All new hoses, edelbrock water pump, etc, all new.

Don Jacks

Well Seasoned Member
Supporting Member 3
Drop the thermostat to 185.Is one of your heater hoses attached to the intake manifold?

Iowa 409 Guy

Well Seasoned Member
Supporting Member 15
I was thinking 180 was the normal thermostat back in the day??? You will not hurt anything going lower than that IMO, but if you're having overheating problems it most likely won't cure anything.

Electric fan on the CRUSHER If I remember I'll measure tomorrow. Never overheats. But it never overheated with a small block shroud and a fan either...

our1962

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 2
I leave the radiator cap off and let the car idle and run, you'll see it burp and the coolant drop add more and continue process until you get the proper coolant level, and you see the coolant moving continuously. I have a 12-psi cap on my 3-core radiator.

180 TSTAT with 1/8" hole drilled in open/closing part of TSTAT.