4 Speed Shifter for '63

Carmine

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 10
Hi everyone. Quick question. What kind of 4 speed shifter came from the factory for either an SS model with buckets or a straight seat?? I've seen a few different ones. Some were Hurst shifters and other appeared to be a very thin variety. I thought they came with a chrome shifter and ball with a lockout for reverse. Many thanks, Carmine.

pvs409

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 11
“No GM Hurst 4 speed shifters were used” on all factory bench seat or SS 1961 to 1964 Chevrolets with Borg Warner or Muncie 4 speeds
Hurst competition plus 4 speed shifters we sold by Hurst for all those years, I used them on at least 10 -1961 to 1964 Chevrolets.
All GM 4 speed shifters used a small factory white ball with a 4 speed logo on the ball ( they were not Hurst balls).
GM 1963 SS 4 speed cars ( used plain white ball with no logo) and GM 1964 SS 4 speed cars had chrome ball with with reverse lockout T handle below chrome ball.

GM 4 speed shifter linkage was not high quantity and could easily hang up between gears ( that’s why so many GM shifters we’re replaced with Hurst 4 speed after market Shifters.

Paul

Carmine

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 10
Thanks guys. I know I saw a lot of Hurst shifters in '63 cars and had to wonder about that. I'm pretty sure that Pontiac GTO's came from the factory with a Hurst shifter. My '67 had one. I recall sending it to the Hurst factory, I believe located in PA., for a rebuild costing $17.00. This was the very early 80's, Carmine.

rsavage

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 5
You can get a Hurst Competition plus shifter with the original type handle. The one for the '63 has the small white plain ball on it. You wouldn't know the Hurst shifter was on it.

rsavage

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 5
Have one also in the '63. The '62 has a Hurst comp + with the Hurst handle. One of these days I'll see if I can put a stock handle on that shifter.