3rd Gen W-Kid-PreHistoricRat

PreHistoricRat

Well, here's my story and I'm stickin to it.

I'm 20 years, name is Austin Sauer, a few of ya may know of my grandfather, John Sauer, he at one point had one of the "better/larger" 348/409 collections in the country in the late 70's early 80's. It was eventually sold off to a family friend Steve Van Dyne in the mid 80's. My grandfather also had a set of stack injectors that were off of "I THINK" Dyno Don Nicholson's 62, he bought them from Mickey Thompson before he passed. Those were stolen from our house while it was being rented out along with a plethora of Corvette parts, but I'll stop there before I start ranting for the next 3 hours...

Needless to say, my great uncle originally bought our 60 El Camino brand new, it was a 348 Hydro 4 speed car. He drove it on the street for a little while and started racing it a bit, not long after a divorce came and my grandpa bought it from him, we've had it since. My grandpa ended up blowing up a Hydro 4 speed bad one, opted out for a Turbo 400, dad told me it scared the piss outta him when the bell housing tried coming through the floor board and trans tunnel at him. The car always had 348's in it for life. My grandma, Denny loved em and built a bigger 348 that got the car down into the low 11's. We USED to have picture of it on the rear bumper at OCIR. After my grandpa went through a couple sets of "Cooks billet axles" Cook finally told my grandpa he couldn't guarantee em anymore, that's when the Pontiac 9.3" rear was swapped in by my dad when he was 16. My dad raced the car a few times until the trans blew up one night at OCIR, from there it had been parked. It's rediculously rusty. In the mid 70's they stripped the whole car and painted it, and forgot to etch it... So it rusted from under the paint...

Right now it still has a T-400 with a big 348. 690 heads, matching Comp 750's. The crank is a billet stroker from Thompson I believe also, not 100% on brand.

Well, needless to say, here probably at the first of the year, if I finish my 68 C-20 50th Anniversary truck soon I am going to start on my family ride of all time.

PreHistoricRat_zps4ef994ba.jpg

BSL409

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 6
Welcome aboard
Cool story :beerand would you have some more photos

Fathead Racing

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 7
I wanted to name my 60 Impala the Prehistoric Rat but because of this cars history did not opting instead for the Stone Age Rat. Now I'm really interested in this story.

k9hotrodder409

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 15
Welcome to the site Austin:clap , great story from back in the day. Great group here:hug and lot's of info on the "W" engine. Enjoy the ride.
:crazy:dance:cheers

PreHistoricRat

I appreciate it guys, I'm not sure what my plan is on it quite yet.

Definitely frame off, being that nothing is not cut floor pan wise I "THINK" I can get away with doing a roll bar with a forward facing side bar, by the driver's seat and a rear facing at be legal to 10 flat.
Then again, NHRA gets to interpret their rulebook how ever THEY want... If I can't do that, it's going to stay no cage and just be a haulin @$$ street/strip car. If I could get away with that, build a nasty 409, T400 with a brake and go S/ST racing! I'm not sure how I feel about goin Stock Eliminator racing with it like it was originally... WHO KNOWS!

PreHistoricRat

Here's an OCIR poster from the 70's with it on there also.
411666_344941462197426_1741112357_o_zps3b5241cd.jpg

I have that same poster, not nearly as nice though.

Also have a few old Drag Scoops with it in there too.

nomad59NZ

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 2
Well, here's my story and I'm stickin to it.

I'm 20 years, name is Austin Sauer, a few of ya may know of my grandfather, John Sauer, he at one point had one of the "better/larger" 348/409 collections in the country in the late 70's early 80's. It was eventually sold off to a family friend Steve Van Dyne in the mid 80's. My grandfather also had a set of stack injectors that were off of "I THINK" Dyno Don Nicholson's 62, he bought them from Mickey Thompson before he passed. Those were stolen from our house while it was being rented out along with a plethora of Corvette parts, but I'll stop there before I start ranting for the next 3 hours...

Needless to say, my great uncle originally bought our 60 El Camino brand new, it was a 348 Hydro 4 speed car. He drove it on the street for a little while and started racing it a bit, not long after a divorce came and my grandpa bought it from him, we've had it since. My grandpa ended up blowing up a Hydro 4 speed bad one, opted out for a Turbo 400, dad told me it scared the piss outta him when the bell housing tried coming through the floor board and trans tunnel at him. The car always had 348's in it for life. My grandma, Denny loved em and built a bigger 348 that got the car down into the low 11's. We USED to have picture of it on the rear bumper at OCIR. After my grandpa went through a couple sets of "Cooks billet axles" Cook finally told my grandpa he couldn't guarantee em anymore, that's when the Pontiac 9.3" rear was swapped in by my dad when he was 16. My dad raced the car a few times until the trans blew up one night at OCIR, from there it had been parked. It's rediculously rusty. In the mid 70's they stripped the whole car and painted it, and forgot to etch it... So it rusted from under the paint...

Right now it still has a T-400 with a big 348. 690 heads, matching Comp 750's. The crank is a billet stroker from Thompson I believe also, not 100% on brand.

Well, needless to say, here probably at the first of the year, if I finish my 68 C-20 50th Anniversary truck soon I am going to start on my family ride of all time.

PreHistoricRat_zps4ef994ba.jpg
Very cool Austin and thanks for sharing with all and look forward to further updates on the future plans.

Gav