348 Trans help

69 camino

I hope I can get some help here,I am building a rod project,and plan on using a 348 out of a 61 truck.It was a manual,and I want to run a 350 auto.I have been told I need an adapter of some kind?What exactly am I going to have to search for?New small flywheel?adapter and bellhousing?Also need to get a car water pump,but the local checker,cant seem to find one.Please let me know who has gone through this stuff already.Thanks alot...Patrick

tripowerguy

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 3
First get the pilot bearing out of the end of the crankshaft. Next go to the parts house and get a 168 tooth flexplate for a 396/427 big block. You need a starter for the same. Your 350, if it is for a Chevrolet not an OLds or Pontiac will bolt right up. Around here I order a 348 409 water pump from O'Rielly's. Any good parts house such as NAPA will know about 348 409 car water pumps. Good luck. Roy

69 camino

Thanks tripower,My trans is a chevy,debated as to use a four speed,but theres not a lot of room,so an auto is the choice.I,ll check with napa,just dont like dealing with the people there,bunch of know it alls here that cant find anything if it isnt in the "system"..

Bungy

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 3
Patrick, Are you putting that 348 in a 69 elcamino? or is that a different car? Also if you have a 69 elcamino you need to join the Northstar Chevelle Club. email me if your interested. Bungy

CarlK60

Supporting Member 1
Chevelle club

Hey bungy, you beat me to it ! LOL (carl k, " Official Chevelle Club Recruiter") hehehe BTW, did ya get my last email?

69 camino

No the 348 is going in my 1930 plymouth three window,at least until I find a small hemi someday.I do have two 69 caminos,however.I would be interested in finding more local people interested in chevelles and caminos though.I found someone with the flexplate for 20.00,next ,a starter,and water pump,the usual tune up,and it should be alot closer.Do any of you locals get to oronoco much?

Bungy

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 3
Patrick, I've never been to Oronoco but been to Rochester a few times. We just started the Northstar Chevelle Club and we are having our 3rd meeting May 17th in Blaine. I really good time with a bunch of really good people. Definately worth attending if you can make it. Bungy

Bungy

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 3
Carl, got your email and I'll get back to ya with my stuff. I sold a lot at Jefferson but still have plenty 4 sale. Sold all the stuff I never thought would sell. 250hp 348 intake and valve covers with breathers welded on, dented covers, water pump cores, all the cheap stuff. Nobody wanted to spend any money. that includes me, I bought nothing.

CarlK60

Supporting Member 1
Hey Camino, I will be going to Oronoco (any idea when it starts?) I am still tryin to get my car runnin and patched up. I'll be at the meeting in Blaine also. Bungy, have ya ever been to the "cruise in" in Alden MN? I have never been to it yet, but plan on takin the 4 door there, also wondering when it starts. UH OH :cuss you sold all the cheap stuff (the stuff I can afford) lol, I hope what ya got left aint the spendy stuff!!! lol, Im sure youll still have stuff I'll want, let me know.

Later, CK

69 camino

Just a quick line to say that the get together in oronoco starts this wednesday night,and every wed night till it gets cold and snowy,I think.Located east out of oronoco at sandy point supper club,Just a lot of guys getting together and showing cars.no trophys,just door prizes,music and food and drinks.