348 teething issues. More advice sought.

mcam

Well Known Member
After years of work and some great guidance from Don Jacks i now have my 348 tri power past the initial break in stage and a couple odd quirks have showed up. First, i have battled vapor lock with the fuel system and i seem to have a stable setup with one exception: sometimes after a 90 degree turn the engine begins to quit about ten seconds after the turn. Yesterday i stopped at my mailbox and then made a hard right turn to go up the driveway and halfway up the engine nearly quit but i was able to goose it back to life before it killed. Could this be fuel starvation or one of the carbs dumping raw fuel into the intake? Secondly the engine has a slight tick like a stuck lifter but very soft. I thought this could not happen with these modern roller lifters. Can this tick be adjusted out? How might i identify which one might be sticking? Could this be a exhaust manifold leak? This tick showed up after the first 1000 miles. Thanks.

Murphdog

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 2
Can this tick be adjusted out? Possibly/probably
How might i identify which one might be sticking? ??, not sure, maybe pull 1 plug wire at a time and see if it quits/isolates it??
Could this be a exhaust manifold leak? Yes
My 2017 5.3 LS pickup has a slight tic, I just drive it.
Jeff

mcam

Well Known Member
Thanks murph! I should have mentioned i reused the stock rockers. I think the lifters were from comp cams they have a bar connecting them together. Is it possible the rocker is touching the valve cover slightly? I remember having to order custom length pushrods to make it all work. Been a few years now….

Murphdog

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 2
If a rocker was hitting a valve cover I think it be would more noticeable sound wise. I would think you would be able to feel that if you got your finger right over the culprit spot. I forgot to ask what oil you are using in this. Hydraulic roller lifters are somewhat picky from the little that I know.
Jeff

Last edited: