348 Distributor & water pump

Juka

I have 1960 348 engine, will a GM HEI Distributor fit thecamshaft gear? And if so, what year HEI will fit? I was going to get one from the junk yard. Also,any suggestions for a water pump? Is there one I can swap or do you know where I can get one?
Thanks, Sid (sidchev567@aol.com).

dq409

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 3
Juka said:
I have 1960 348 engine, will a GM HEI Distributor fit thecamshaft gear? And if so, what year HEI will fit? I was going to get one from the junk yard. Also,any suggestions for a water pump? Is there one I can swap or do you know where I can get one?
Thanks, Sid (sidchev567@aol.com).

Sid, No the HEI will not fit. The 348 and 409`s have a longer shaft.
There is an adapter that will work but there also are alternatives.
The stock GM HEI`s are large and have some clearence problems.

Ignitionman does a conversion to the stock distributors that is a great up grade and comes in either a HEI or MSD trigger version.

The HEI is a small body that id housed under a stock non-HEI cap to retain the stock appearance!

MSD also makes a new one but is more expensive then the conversion..

As far as water pumps go these are also "only" items for your engine.

Post a wanted ad here or watch Ebay for one,,,, dq

Last edited by a moderator:

W Head

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 12
348 dist. & water pump

A GM HEI distributor will not work in a 348 or 409 engine. There is a difference in the shaft. If you want a HEI for your 348, Accell makes one, but it will not fit if you are running 3 carbs (not enough room) Or you can convert your 348 dist. to electronic using Pertronix or Mallory conversion kits (I have both). You can get these through Summit. I can still go to my local parts store and get rebuilt 348 & 409 rebuilt water pumps for about $65.00 here in Texas.

W Head

59 El Camino 348-3,2s
59 Impala 409-2,4s

art38

Well Known Member
Hei

I agree with W Head. I have the Accell on my 409, with the dual quads. Very pleased with it. Also using the Crossfire cap.
Art38

stew

Truck Distributor Conversion?

Hello, I heard about converting a"409 " truck distributor by cutting off the top section and welding on the top section from a cast iron "283" distributor. I have the parts here to do this , but am having second thoughts about doing it because of reliability issues. Has any one here had any experience with this cut and weld operation? Thanx Stew

Stew, a few years ago, I had this "void" of W block distributors, so I did just what you said.
Works perfectly. If you do this though, be sure to put a limiter in the centrifugal advance system.

Oh, forgot to mention... the new MSD unit will basically solve all these problems. However, it does not fit with a stock 2X4 or 3X2 air cleaner... because, it too, is taller than a factory distributor.

California L33

There are rebuild kits available for the water pump. I know I've seen them at Show Cars. If you need a new one, try-

http://www.kanter.com/truck/trwp.html

They can supply one even if you don't have a core. They list it as a "truck water pump," but if I'm not mistaken, there was no difference between the car and truck 348/409 pump. Somebody pipe up if I'm wrong.

SteveD409

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 2
I think that the "W" engine distributor is shortern not longer and the truck water pump is a big honkin' thing that sets way up high in front of the engine--you don't want one of those in a car!

SteveD

mercsrus51

Distrib. & water pump

I have a 1960 348 w three carbs....I had originnaly converted my Dist using patronix,, pia,nd after two months, it was worse than the orig..called my speed shop, and bought a mallory electronic Dist for about $300....The only problem is that we put one in w/out a vacuum , and the igsignia was facing out, and no oil to the passenger side so be careful no nmatter what Distrib you use....my advice call Kurt from Mr 409, pend a little more, and he'll give you good advice....he prob has a water pump too. I paid $100.00 for a nos still in the orig bag...If yoou can't find one call me and I know I saw some advertised , 860 5673101 day number est. LOU Mr 409 that is his web page....Good luck He had told me to cut the groove all around the Dist so there would never agaain be a problem with the oil.....good advice,,,,