327 crank shaft

Colin

Well Known Member
I recently found the crank shaft diagram and it shows 2 different crank shafts for 327 which is a better choice for a new engine my current rebuild project has a steel crank I'm going to check for large or small journals. This engine came with 2 sets of camel hump heads one set is 194 valves the other 202 what is the difference year wise my car is 1962. I am a mopar guy and all this is new to me. Thanks Colin

1958 delivery

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 2
A real camel hump head with factory 2.02 valves is rare. Most were modified. On the cranks, large journal versus small. There are theories on which is best. I think there's no real difference if both are forged.

Colin

Well Known Member
The engine was given to me, it was in a car the new owner did not want it he kept all the chrome bits and gave me the rest, it was in pieces but it was balanced and blue printed the bills indicate it cost 1200.00 in the 90s. So it is a 1962 corvette engine with a small journal forged crank 194 camel hump heads 327 and a lumpy cam not sure what it will sound like but I'll put it together and run it on the test stand. The other set of heads I will get some numbers and see what they are, learning something new every day thanks for the info Cheers Colin

425/409ER

Well Known Member
I've broken 2 327 small journal forged steel cranks in my lifetime, I wouldn't use another one in except in a stock rebuild. All my large journal stuff has held up well over the years and never busted any of them inc. using all the cast cranks I've race with in engines.

Murphdog

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 2
To my knowledge all small journal 327 cranks were steel. Large journal can be cast or steel. The 307 Chevy shares the same cast crank dimension wise although probably balanced differently. A balance job will cure that. As far as the heads. The "factory 2.02's" have probably been valve jobed to death. Unless they are something special numbers wise I would let someone else drool over them and take the 1.94's and put 1.6/2.02's in them and get some "fresh" valve seat material.
Jeff