30 YEARS Ago Elvis died

tripowerguy

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 3
They are playing all kinds of Elvis music on the radio station that I listen to. Man it is hot out in the shop, 100 degrees, I'm working on the air conditioner in the 58. Anyway I wonder if anyone is an Elvis fan like me. I remember buying my first Elvis 45 record in 1956 "heartbreak hotel". In those days disc jockeys were the celebs as much as the singers. Bill Balance and Art Labeau were two that come to mind,and there were many more because Rock and Roll was almost as much a passion as cars.:D I came in to get a glass of tea and now back out to the oven. I got the parts from Vintage Air yesterday and I want to get it hooked up and charged so I can go to the HAMB drags the 25th.:clap Roy

models916

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 7
My first Elvis

I remember buying Hound Dog on a 78rpm. Flip side was Green Door. Elvis was one of my favorites. I still stop and watch Viva Las Vegas or Speedway if I'm flippinig through the chanels. Has nothing to do with that red headed girl that Elvis nicknamed Thumper. Boy would I like to ..........................!!

Tom Kochtanek

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 13
You bet!

I remember when I first saw Elvis on TV on The Ed Sullivan Show around 1958 or so. He did "Hound Dog" and really put on a performance :).

I also recall the day he allegedly died 30 years ago. I was driving a 1963 Econoline with all my worldly possessions from Cleveland, Ohio to Columbia, Missouri to start a new chapter in my life.

Plans are to take the wife and boys to dinner at the pub I first set foot on after driving 675 miles and arriving about midnight 30 years ago :). That 's where I learned about Elvis... :(.

Enjoy!

TomK

vin 58

Supporting Member 1
I remember the day Elvis died, I was putting a cam in my 57 belair out in the driveway. The wife and I were supposed to go to Memphis this week but we came into real estate deal and had to cancel. Now the 58 impala has a nice new garage to live in.

Ronnie Russell

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 2
Have always been an Elvis fan and always will be. There will never be another voice like that. Even now , when December rolls around, I dig out an old Elvis Christmas album, ( casette tape ) .

409z28

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 2
Elvis

Ronnie,,,You mean (Elvis the pelvis) lets see how many remember that!!! I think my favorite was Now or Never. The way the lyrics and tempo flowed to the creshendo was perfect for him. Plus he was versatile and could do the Gospel and other facets as no one could. IMO, even to-day...Who wants to hear>>>>>Hoompa- doompa -bumpa, rattling your wifes crystal in the house from outside>>> But I will still Take Glenn Miller! He He.. Nice to dance with a gal, rather than shadow box, huh Ronnie:cheers

Ronnie Russell

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 2
Yep models, I held on to the the 8 track to the bitter end, but finally saw the writing on the wall and bought a casette player. I do have a portalble 8 track player out in the shop . It even works !!! Now I have joined the 21st century and actually own a CD player. I have heard people talk about something called an i-pod, not sure what that is but I think it is a music format also. My favorite though is the local " oldies" radio station. I don't have to do anything buy listen. Elvis forever. :cheers

oldskydog

Well Seasoned Member
Supporting Member 10
I was on a patrol in the middle of the Bering Sea. The radio operator gave us the news and really bummed out the guy I was flying with. He had been trying to get to an Elvis concert for years.:cry

Impalaguru

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 1
Elvis and I share a birthday! January 8th!:deal He would be (is??) a little older than I!!
Ross

dgwar

Well Known Member
My wife was an Elvis fan, I have her entire collection of stuff. Anyone interested in it, E-mail me. It would take an entire car to haul it.