2014 Great Bend Convention

Barry Taylor

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 3
Great Bend was a great get together and race! I got to visit the site of the 1959 AHRA Nationals where my Dad won S/S Top Eliminator in a black 57 Chevy with the 2-4 motor! The Pack Wrat made it’s debut with a lot of mixed emotions issues! Made a some new friends and got put in the trailer first round by Joel! Thank You Mr. Phil Reed for a great get togetherIMG_4154.jpegIMG_4155.jpeg

LMBRJQ 60

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 4
Well that means i know what i was doing 10 years and one day ago today. not often i can say that.
I remember walking into the marquee with Lynette and my folks and all we knew was to ask for Phil Reed.
As soon as i said his name his ears pricked up and i couldnt have net a nicer person. apart from Candy of course.:)
Met Ray (Fathead Racing) when he was washing his car, Lynette spotted the street lethal 60 across the way so we had to head there.
Bought a bunch of parts from Ronnie, Clyde, Steve G. Got to sit and chat with Hayden Proffit. ate curly fries with Butch and Ginny. I got to drive Lonnies Halls 62 on the return road. Lynette went for a ride in Last 60 with Lonnie. My Parents went for a ride in Dan's mint 61 belair.
Got to listen to gibberish from Bob Walla while drinking some sort of clear fluid from a jar around Rays race car trailer. Wasnt really gibberish as Bob couldnt talk.:D. Met mister Dave Coots there and his 64 impala. met Bill Nuttall and Miss Bella. so many memories. Can still remember in perkins resturant my Dad and Grub haveing a standard discussion about Aussie and Kiwi relations (taking the piss out of each other) and looking around at everyone listening thinking it was going to come to blows :roll:roll:roll.
I will treasure these memories, sadly many of those we met are not here with us anymore.

I made friends that day that i dont think i will ever see again but still count them as my friends

Thank you Phill for the oppertunity to change my life for the better

Steve

awsumcars

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 4
This was my first 348/409 event that made me realize there's a bunch of "funny valve cover knuckle heads" out there. Brought my 63 SS there, not running right. As luck would have it, I pitted next to the "Screamer". Allen figured out that I had both a resitor wire AND a ballast resitor! May he rest in peace on 1320' of rubber covered asphalt.. a true 409 drag racer.