1962 and 1963 rpo?

doug castile

Hi I'm doug from niagara falls and my step father maximum bob wells built several cars for a man named ben tirabassi from the falls 2 1962 bubble top 409 's one white and one red with the aluminum body panels and a 1963 I believe impala 427 z11 aluminum car which I believe is now in a man named don fezell s museum in Pennsylvania. I was just wondering if any one remembers these cars or may know where they are now or any old stories about them. Thanks for taking the time to have a read.

jim_ss409

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 5
Welcome to the site Doug. :beer
You came to the right place. Somebody on here will know something about those cars.
If you don't get some good replies on this thread, try starting another post with "Z11" in the title to grab the attention of some of the knowledgeable guys.

Phil Reed

Well Seasoned Member
Supporting Member 10
Welcome Doug. Yes, I knew your Dad. Met him in 1995 on a motorcycle trip to Maine. I was a friend of Ben's and met your Dad when we stayed at the motel. Ben had all 4 cars when we were there. He had the 3 cars you mentioned plus a white/red 63 1/2 fastback Ford Galaxie...427 4-speed. I was there on a later trip and learned of your Dad's passing. Glad you found us.

Bub6le 2op

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 6
Welcome to the site Doug, you're in with a great bunch of guys and probably will hear a lot of stories here.

BSL409

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 6
Welcome aboard,
I thought Rusty Simms bought the Red 62 Belair from Ben Tirabassi ?

mopar-small-jpg.18212

doug castile

That's the red 62 I was talking about. I'm not sure who rusty Sims is one where either of the 62's went I know don fezell has the black 63 z11 427 and the white galaxies 427 thank you every one for the welcomes I love these cars and the work it takes to restore them. I'm hoping to make some friends hear some great stories and get a education.

1961BelAir427

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 3
Not sure if it's the same car, but I remember one red '62 bubbletop that had an aluminum front end and "Z11 style" heads & intake that was owned by Donny Shaffer in Missouri and then sold to Mike Martin in California. I have seen it in pictures all lettered up when Donny had it and then when Mike had it, the only lettering was the Aluminum Don't Touch! in white on each fender. Besides a few updates such as headers, breathers in the valve covers, and a CLEAN bolt-in roll bar, back seat delete, and 5 star wheels with slicks - it looked like a restored car. Back seat area was carpeted with Red salt/pepper so it matched the rest. The article on it when Mike owned it claimed 550HP and said it ran in the 11's. (Sounds like a very honest HP number for the ET/MPH).
Shortly after that, another article with a Mike Martin car had a Fawn '61 Impala with a single 4 Holley Dominator adapted to a stock single 4 intake on a 409 that was claimed to be in the 10's and over 700HP. Also built in the same style as the '62 like a racing version of a stock restoration, except this one also had a snorkel hood scoop.
In a conversation with Donny many years back he told me that the bolt-in roll bar was the SAME piece in both cars and that Mike had swapped it from the '62 to the '61 and just painted it gold. Same thing with the wheels & tires as the '62 was taken out of drag strip duty.

I think he told me that Martin had sold both by the time we were talking, but I can not remember if that's right or who they sold to.

The magazines are around here somewhere....I think from about 1989. They have been a HUGE inspiration for how I want my car to be ever since. Sad that it's taking this long and still not even close.

RCampbell

Well Known Member
Rusty did buy the red belair....it is now his black race car....with a carbon fiber front. I bought the aluminum when he made the change. Mike Martin's car changed hands...seems like it went through Boyd Coddington's shop. The aluminum from that car is now on another belair...under a "long term" restoration.....Russ

1961BelAir427

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 3
Rusty did buy the red belair....it is now his black race car....with a carbon fiber front. I bought the aluminum when he made the change. Mike Martin's car changed hands...seems like it went through Boyd Coddington's shop. The aluminum from that car is now on another belair...under a "long term" restoration.....Russ
Thanks Russ!
Did VFN make Rusty's carbon fiber front end?
I'm afraid to know what Mike Martin's '62 looked like after going through Boyd Coddington's. I think it was JUST RIGHT as it was.