1961 Impala 348 convert (pole) barn find

LowKat

Well Known Member
Some of you may have seen this car in my intoduction thread but thought I'd share the complete story.

I'm always envious of the cool cars being found. Well, it finally happened to me about a month ago. I do have an advantage to connect with "projects" as I work at Chevs of the 40's managing a car collection and once or twice a month do assembly on cars at a high end restoration shop.

About a year ago, Ron, the owner of www.chevsofthe40s.com asks me to pick up any "good" cars at his pole barn and bring back to the new museum building. I'd never been there so took a mechanic with me who had. Here's what I saw on one side of the building when I opened the door.

2015 Ridgfield 6 SMALL.JPG

Notice the very rare (1 of 20) orange 1970 Ranchero 429 SCJ next to the Impala. The other side of the barn held the cars I hauled off. A nice pair of '57 Ford converts, a restored 55 Packard Caribbean convert, 71 Torino 429CJ.

2015 Ridgfield 7mm SMALL.JPG

Anyway, I'm walking around looking at each car deciding which ones to haul out and the mechanic with me is telling me what he knows about each one.

We get to the Impala and he tells me it belongs to a friend of Ron's and it's been there about 15 years. Also says: "I'm buying this car as soon as I have the rest of the money together. I've had it running good and Ray (the owner) told me he'd listen to offers in the 9-12,000 range".

I guessed it's a $6-$7G car and forgot about it.

Fast forward a year and the mechanic tells me he spent his "Impala money" on a bulldozer and won't be buying the car. Well, I've known Ray (car owner) a few years and have him do outside work for the museum. I figure next time I have work for Ray, I'll talk to him about the Impala since I'd done my research on it. Ray is a very cool 82 year old, hardcore gearhead that mostly does 100 point restorations on 1920's - 1930's cars.

A couple months before I knew the car was available I went out to the barn and picked up more cars to transport. While there, I looked the Impala over for the mechanic that was going to buy it for an originality report and I snapped these pictures. The only thing I could see missing was the original air cleaner. I hadn't been back to see it since then and based my decision to buy off of this quickie inspection.

DSC07615a 50 SMALL.JPG

DSC07617a 50 SMALL.JPG

DSC07618b 50 SMALL.JPG

DSC07618.JPG

13 DSC07626b TRUNK GRILL SMALL.JPG

08 DSC07622 a STEERING WHEEL SMALL.JPG

10 DSC07622 b SPEEDO SMALL.JPG

11 DSC07623 ENGINE SMALL.JPG

Last month I had work for Ray (car owner). He came by the museum and we talked about the Impala.

He's the 2nd owner. One repaint, original interior. A little over 80,000 miles with the original drivetrain that has never been out or apart. He bought it 34 years ago as a restoration candidate. Had it for 20 years before driving it to where it's now stored. Started taking it apart then had other projects push it back. He came out yearly to start the engine and let it run a while.

I offered him 9G's and he said he'd have to think about it and to call him in a few days. I figure he's not ready to sell but call him and he says "You're 2G's short on your offer"

I say OK and a deal is struck at 11G's.
This is gonna be fun.
~ Mark

63 dream'n

Well Seasoned Member
Supporting Member 4
Cool story......obviously you have the knowledege and ability.....I look forward to your updates,nice............

jim_ss409

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 5
Congratulations! :clap
It looks like you've got a great car to restore.
You don't see very many 61 Impala convertibles around.
Nice color combo too. :clap

LowKat

Well Known Member
There's more to the story....

After I made the deal with him, Ray says "Oh yea, I already had the front bumper chromed and I have a new convertible top for it. I'll toss those in since you'll need 'em anyway.

HA, the deal just got better.

I was supposed to meet Ray for lunch the following day to exchange cash for title but he stopped by my work that day which surprised me. He knew I wouldn't have the cash. My first thought was he wanted to back out of the deal but do it face to face like a man and not over the phone.

Instead, he brought parts, new convertible top with window and interior material that he'd promised. (Also threw in a set of top pads and boot) the original front bumper backer bracket. Said he had to unwrap some bumpers to find the correct one. (he has a lot of cars and parts)

Oh better still...

Ray also gave me more new stuff, a molded carpet kit and insulation, pair of kick panels, gas tank, trunk mat and a NOS accessory 'bug screen'. None of that was included with or even talked about in the original deal.

DSC07922 SMALL.JPG

DSC07928 SMALL.JPG

Now the really good part......

He tells me "I didn't realize how much I had collected for that car over the years until looking for your stuff this morning. There's a bunch of NOS parts and accessories at my place. I think the pile is worth a couple thousand but your advantage is that's less than I paid in 1980's-1990's dollars. I might even listen to an offer".

I asked Ray what was in the pile. He says: "You better just come have a look" Then I asked him if he wanted me to come next week but he replies "Wait until it's not so hot, most of it's in my garage attic and it's hotter than hell up there". I say: "Man, at least give me a hint". He tells me "Have you ever seen cruise control on a '61 Impala? How about a NOS one for the 348? Also there's everything to completely rebuild the front suspension and steering but none of it's Chinese crap". Then he adds "That should hold you over 'till we get to it"

LowKat

Well Known Member
Gave the car a bath and all of the original glass is nice including the tinted shaded windshield.
The crank-out wing windows do have some tiny bubbles along the back edge.

DSC07965 50 SMALL.JPG

Cleaned out the inside of the car more and found a Trico triangle glass bottle of windshield washer fluid, (there's a clip in the engine compartment for it) a new pair of front gas shocks, set of vertical rubber seals for the back windows, new trunk weatherstrip.

I found the filler valve for the rear air shocks and they still work.
Also discovered it has 2 new mufflers and the exhaust system looks new but has surface rust.

The rally wheels won't be staying but I might try the old school American 5 spokes (gray with polished lip) off of my Nova wagon on it for size. They're 15x6 and 15x7. The Impala came with all 5 original wheels which are in great shape along with the hubcaps that polished up decent. Here's the new tire that was in the back seat mounted it up.

DSC08006 50 SMALL.JPG

Found the center bar for the grille guard under 4 different bumper jacks in the trunk. Not sure if I have the correct jack though. The 'bullets' and chrome ends were in the back seat. Assembled the grille guard, dug out the grille with headlight surrounds, then gave everything a polish. I had a period correct "Pacific Wonderland" Oregon license plate to use.

DSC07971 50 SMALL.JPG

LowKat

Well Known Member
Pulled the seats and carpet, cleaned out the interior.
Installed new carpet with extra insulation and a Mylar heat barrier.

DSC07999 50 SMALL.JPG

Scrubbed the crap out of the interior and got a lot of junk off.
Had a tire stored in the back seat for 15-20 years which left stains I can't remove.

BEFORE
DSC07980 50 SMALL.JPG

AFTER
DSC08016 50 SMALL.JPG

BEFORE
DSC07994 50 SMALL.JPG

AFTER - with new carpet
DSC08015 50 SMALL.JPG

Cleaned up the engine compartment some. Painted engine and rebuilt the carb.
Installed new heater core and hoses, painted heater core housing.

BEFORE
DSC07624 SMALL.JPG

AFTER
DSC08137 SMALL ENGINE RIGHT.JPG

DSC08136 SMALL CARB.JPG

Last edited:

LowKat

Well Known Member
Went to a local old school junkyard looking for a RH quarter panel and an air cleaner and whatever knick-knack stuff I could find. Thought I might score a 283-4bbl air cleaner that would work. I came up with one off a 1960 Pontiac that is the same size and uses the same element as a Chevy tri-power. It sure looks at home on the 348.

DSC08089 50 SMALL.JPG

DSC08138 SMALL w-AIR CLEANER.JPG