1960 impala going from 283 to 348 tripower

1960impala283

Well Known Member
Hi. New member about to install 348 engine into my 1960 impala. Just purchased my first 409 last weekend. I have a couple 348 motors as well. Is there a treatment for this new addiction? My friends think I have a new disease that is affecting my judgement, causing me to buy all the dump truck motors I can find.:takethat

Ian in Hamilton Ontario

Attachments

• 348 motor.jpg
    348 motor.jpg
    42.9 KB · Views: 95
  • 1 sand blaster.jpg
    1 sand blaster.jpg
    70.4 KB · Views: 100
  • body off.jpg
    body off.jpg
    71.4 KB · Views: 98

1960impala283

Well Known Member
I have the bottom of the car sandblasted and painted as well as the frame. It's back on four wheels awaiting the engine. Having a little trouble uploading pictures as they are all too big a file.

Engine 1960 block 5011, 817 heads, Isky cam, Egge pistons. 280hp Carbs and intake.

Dick MacKenzie

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 9
Cool project! Keep us posted on your progress. There is a real nice (free) photo editing software package called Paint.net. You can find it here: http://www.getpaint.net/

There is an 'image' drop down menu in it that allows you to 'resize' your photos. Computers will not display more the 96 dots per inch (dpi) and a good, workable width and height is 6" x 4"

skipxt4

Well Seasoned Member
Supporting Member 18
Welcome, Ian.:clap Yes, you do, have a disease.:doh It's called 348-409itis.:eek: Over 3,000 members, on this site, have it.:eyebrow Is there a cure?:dunno I hope not.:rolleyes::roll:roll

58 Apache

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 2
My first car 60 impala conv 283 powergluide

:clap Welcome to the site and nice project.:eek: If this is a disease all we need to fix it is more cars and W's to put in them.:roll

348stroker

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 2
Hi. New member about to install 348 engine into my 1960 impala. Just purchased my first 409 last weekend. I have a couple 348 motors as well. Is there a treatment for this new addiction? My friends think I have a new disease that is affecting my judgement, causing me to buy all the dump truck motors I can find.:takethat

Ian in Hamilton Ontario

The only treatment is more Ws and Xs,:D your friends are right in that your judgement is affected, but that is good.:) Welcome to the site and keep looking for those truck engines.:roll :roll :cheers

k9hotrodder409

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 15
Welcome aboard IAN,:clap Yes it is a sickness but You don't feel ill.:barf I raided 2 Chevy 80 series dump trucks to power my rides. :dealA '57 w/348 & TH350 and a '61 Bubbletop with a 348 & powerglide.:crazy Both were interesting projects to say the least. Lots of pics of your project please.:crazy:cheers:cheers

1960impala283

Well Known Member
I'll try and post some pictures. I like the one with the 283 and 348 together.

I have owned the 1960 for 22 years now. I did the body and paint when I first purchased it, and yanked the stovebolt sick cylinder out after driving it only a few times. It was tired and couldn't pass a diesel rabbit. I put a 400 small block in it from a safari wagon, and promptly blew it up. I wanted to put a 348 into it, but the local engine builder talked me out of it. I had found a complete one in running condition for $300 (1993 dollars) but didn't buy it. Instead I built a 350, 30 over, mild cam, performer intake, turbo 350 and installed some 3.73 gears. After beating on it for a decade or so, I decided I wanted a more original engine. I managed to find a 283 for free and rebuilt it with TRW parts. It was a nice mild mannered cruiser. Then the transmission failed so I installed a 200r4 auto overdrive rebuilt by a local transmission shop. I decided in 2006 to make the car the way I always wanted it. That's when the symtoms began....

I downloaded the software, thanks for the link, I shrink some pictures and post.

Attachments

• 283 vs 348.jpg
    283 vs 348.jpg
    89.1 KB · Views: 82
  • body painted.jpg
    body painted.jpg
    75.6 KB · Views: 66
  • back from the blasters.jpg
    back from the blasters.jpg
    55.5 KB · Views: 59
  • bare frame.jpg
    bare frame.jpg
    56.9 KB · Views: 67

1960impala283

Well Known Member
1960 5011 block bored .030 over
348 crank 0.010 0.010
resized rods and 30 over Egge pistons 9.5:1
1964 817 heads with stainless 2.06 valves, new springs.
Isky cam 458 with 208@.050
1.75 elgin rockers, pushrods
Cloyes True roller timing chain
Tripower intake with factory 280hp carburetors.
2.5 center dump manifolds or 63 Z-11 manifolds haven't decided which ones. I have a pair of each.:?

200r4 overdrive with shift kit and shift point modified to shift at 4500rpm. Should tame the 4.56 to behave like 3.08 on the hiway.

4.56 posi factory rear.

factory style exhaust system

I am hoping this combination will make for a lively cruiser.

I read the post about a bronze spacer behind the Cloyes true roller, makes me a little nervous. I can't imagine a problem with such a mild cam and springs. Has me worried.:pray

WENGINE

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 2
Welcome aboard Ian:beerbang If your looking for a cure for your addiction your in the wrong place:roll We all have the same addiction and we are NOT looking to get rid of it:nono1: Just the reverse we are looking to feed it:D You build is looking good so far and the 283 looks so cute next to the 348 It's like a father /son outing. Touching I tell ya:cheers Ken

1960impala283

Well Known Member
Engine is in!

I've been busy... There is painted parts all over the living room and office, I can barely walk though the room. There is a lot of pieces when you tear one of these cars apart. My wife hasn't said anything yet, but I better make this fast. :eek:

First thing to go back in was the motor and transmission. :cool::cool::cool:

I have temporary valve covers on it.

Attachments

• engine in.jpg
    engine in.jpg
    86.6 KB · Views: 46
  • engine in car.jpg
    engine in car.jpg
    89.9 KB · Views: 48