1960 El Camino

Greetings All,
I have a '60 El Camino that I'd like to get back on the road. Currently sitting with a tranny problem, I think the shifting forks are stuck between gears. I'm a novice at best, have lots of time and little cash, this may take a while to play out.
Here's what I know about the running gear. Originally a 235 six with three on the tree, now 350 with 4-speed Muncie. When I bought her she was taching really high at highway speed, a friend helpped me change out the rear end. After reading a little here I think the original r/e was 3.36, and it now has a 3.55. I know I have tranny work to do, and I'd like some input. Ultimately I'd like to have a period correct 348. I think a 3.70 r/e is the correct ratio for a 348/4 speed. Do I change the r/e, or do go to a Powerglide or some other combination? Your thoughts and input would be greatly appreciated.
My friends call me Bubba, Thanks again.

64ss409

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 9
Welcome Michael

I like the Caminos. Lot of good info here. If you have a 4 speed in it now, I would leave it.
You may have it stuck in 2 gears. If you jack it up, you should be able to get both levers in neutral.

Don Jacks

Well Seasoned Member
Supporting Member 3
3.36 would be a decent highway gear on a car without overdrive,and yes,check that shifter linkage.

k9hotrodder409

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 15
WElcome to the site "Bubba".:clap Great group here and lots of info on the "W" engine. :hugEnjoy the ride.

:crazy:cheers

Welcome Michael

I like the Caminos. Lot of good info here. If you have a 4 speed in it now, I would leave it.
You may have it stuck in 2 gears. If you jack it up, you should be able to get both levers in neutral.

Thanks, 64ss409. I dig the Impalas too, would yours be a 425 hp version?, B..A.. Do I need to have both rear wheels off the ground?

Thanks, for the warm welcome guys. I'll try not to ask too many boneheaded questions.
So, does a 3.36 rear end mean, the drive shaht turns 3.36 revolutions per one revolution of the rear wheel?

DonSSDD

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 2
The final drive on the 4 speed and the PG are the same, so changing trannies won't help the RPM unless you go to an OD. Bigger rear tires will drop the RPM, or the lower # rear end. If you have the torque to make it work, plenty of that with a 348.
Welcome to the site BTW.

Don

64ss409

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 9
Thanks, 64ss409. I dig the Impalas too, would yours be a 425 hp version?, B..A.. Do I need to have both rear wheels off the ground?
No, mine is the 340hp.

If the shifter is worn, sometimes the transmission will to back to a gear, but the shifter will be in the neutral position and will not shift to any gear. To check the shift levers, get the drivers side of the car high enough to be able to reach the shift levers on the side of the transmission. Use jack stands:). You should be able to move each of the front two in 3 positions, the middle being neutral. Get both of them in neutral. Then see if it will shift normally.

No, mine is the 340hp.

If the shifter is worn, sometimes the transmission will to back to a gear, but the shifter will be in the neutral position and will not shift to any gear. To check the shift levers, get the drivers side of the car high enough to be able to reach the shift levers on the side of the transmission. Use jack stands:). You should be able to move each of the front two in 3 positions, the middle being neutral. Get both of them in neutral. Then see if it will shift normally.

Thanks Ron, Great information.