.038" overbore 409 questions

Gliderider06

Well Known Member
I have a .038" bored 409 and need pistons for it. It needs to be final honed and was wondering if I'm able to use the Icon .038 pistons? I don't know how much clearance is needed for them or do I need to just shop for .040" pistons instead? Just trying to figure and do my research before going to the machine shop.
Thanks, Paul

Murphdog

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 2
Typically, clearance is built into the piston. I'm sure the Icon is no different 4.312 + .038 = 4.350 bore. 440 Chrysler +.030 rings or 4.250 BBC + .100, either way, same difference, You could verify this by calling Icon, IF you can get anyone on the phone! I have a customers set at the shop. Will report back in the morning
Jeff

Gliderider06

Well Known Member
I was able to go to the icon website and they had the instructions on the pistons. I think I'm doing the math wrong in my head, but is final bore size about .040" for the .038 pistons?Screenshot_20240904-200235_Drive.jpg

Reactions: 327

Gliderider06

Well Known Member
Just measured some new IC959 pistons .078 oversize. Block 4.312 + .078 = 4.390 These are measuring 4.3845 at pin center line or .0055 clearance
at a true .078 overbore.
Jeff`
So, I guess I should shop for the .040 pistons from Ross then. I may have too much piston to wall clearance then by the time it has the final hone.
Thank you!
Paul

Murphdog

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 2
If your block measures 4.350 now without honing (+.038) I would say your screwed for being able to use the .038 Icom piston. .002 to finish hone for a ".040" over piston is marginal. Normally you want to leave .003 to hone at a minimum. I believe Tech Line is supposed to be able to "build up" a piston skirt with their coating so as to tighten up the clearance. I have never used it.
Jeff

Gliderider06

Well Known Member
If your block measures 4.350 now without honing (+.038) I would say your screwed for being able to use the .038 Icom piston. .002 to finish hone for a ".040" over piston is marginal. Normally you want to leave .003 to hone at a minimum. I believe Tech Line is supposed to be able to "build up" a piston skirt with their coating so as to tighten up the clearance. I have never used it.
Jeff
Kinda what I think. I bought the block already bored. I think I will just take it to a machine shop and ask him. I had it at a shop for several months and the guy was afraid to work on it because he never worked on a W engine and didn't want to mess it up.
If I want to use the Icons, .048" or larger is what I will have to use and have it rebored.
Thank you