QK code 409?

IMBVSUR?

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 2
I saw a 409 block that had been repaired about 10 years ago. It wasn't a very bad crack to begin with, however, they must have done some cosmetics after the repair because when the repair was done, you basically could not see the repair.

427John

Well Known Member
Looks like a serious crack repair to me. I've often wondered, with a cracked block, metal separates and you have a visible crack. At least I think that's what happens. So, with this separation, does anything become misaligned some, like pistons in the bore or maybe bolt holes?? There has to be movement somewhere I would think, Carmine.
Its usually the resistance to movement in the cylinder and deck area that causes those freeze cracks, the ice in the jackets is pushing against the outer wall of the block and the deck surface is trying to prevent that movement so the outer wall cracks at its weakest point which is usually just below the deck area, this is where the OP block cracked and was repaired. The danger of movement is most when the block is heated to repair it, so it is a good idea to check for it. If the engine was run after the repair with no isssues it would lead me to believe that there couldn't have been too much movement. I've got a 348 block that had a braze repair to a crack in the same spot and then was run for long enough to wear out the rebuild that was done when the crack was repaired.

Iowa 409 Guy

Well Seasoned Member
Supporting Member 15
My block started seeping a few years ago. It definitely DID NOT FREEZE. I lightly ground it out and fixed with JB weld. Still in the car, not seeping.

Anyone else have similar experience not due to freezing?

I would bet a lot of these blocks never froze. There is a weak spot along there in the casting.

Ishiftem

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 2
My block started seeping a few years ago. It definitely DID NOT FREEZE. I lightly ground it out and fixed with JB weld. Still in the car, not seeping.

I would bet a lot of these blocks never froze. There is a weak spot along there in the casting.
I would agree. I sonic checked one in that area and it was only .100. The rest of the side was thicker.

427John

Well Known Member

Sounds similar to the Cummins 6BT 53 block, they would just develop a crack in a certain area of the block, it was so prevalent that lock n stitch developed a kit tailored specifically for that repair.

IMBVSUR?

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 2
I saw a 409 block that had been repaired about 10 years ago. It wasn't a very bad crack to begin with, however, they must have done some cosmetics after the repair because when the repair was done, you basically could not see the repair.
That block may be in someone's car on this site as it was in Gibbs Ca. shop at the time, somewhere around 14/15?

Carl 1962

Well Known Member
To bring closure to this mystery, according to Chevrolet production information provided by Warren Leunig, apparently in very late 1962 production, the suffix code QB was replaced by QK for RPO587. At some point in late 62 production, the date code also changed from the usual month, day, year (eg D 3 2 meaning April 3rd 1962) to the Julien date code, and this block has Julien date code 182, meaning July 1st 1962.

This applies to late 1962 409/409 only because in 1963 production, the QB code was re-introduced.

457566924_10110468162724839_8692649781639175308_n.jpg

457791872_10110468162430429_68455894221654992_n.jpg

Last edited:

oldskydog

Well Seasoned Member
Supporting Member 10
Good work Carl.
What does the LD and EXP mean in the 409" listing?
To bring closure to this mystery, according to Chevrolet production information provided by Warren Leunig, apparently in very late 1962 production, the suffix code QB was replaced by QK for RPO587. at some point in late 62 production, the date code also changed from the usual month, day, year (eg D 3 2 meaning April 3rd 1962) to the Julien date code, and this block has Julien date code 182, meaning July 1st 1962.

This applies to late 1962 409/409 only because in 1963 production, the QB code was re-introduced.

View attachment 150243

View attachment 150244
What document is that? I don't have that in my Tonawanda. Collection.

Carl 1962

Well Known Member
What document is that? I don't have that in my Tonawanda. Collection.
I got a couple of computer screen shots of what looks like a scanned PDF from Warren Leunig, but I'm not sure what the pages were from. I'll ask him what they're from and ask for a copy. They didn't mean much to me because they're just a long list of part numbers and beyond my research focus so I cannot confirm what LD and EXP mean, but your guess sounds right.