Muncie 4 speed electric device question

GDUP409!

Hi y’all. What is the electrical component with the short cut-off red wire shown around the middle of the Muncie 4 speed, driver side ? I think it’s supposed to have a second wire that’s missing. The backup light switch is the one at the rear. This is to my 64 Impala, 409.

Attachments

• IMG_0782.jpeg
    IMG_0782.jpeg
    70 KB · Views: 45
  • IMG_0781.jpeg
    IMG_0781.jpeg
    80.9 KB · Views: 45

Jim Sullivan

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 10
The round switch with the broken wire is the original back up light switch. The switch attached to the shifter looks like the Hurst add on switch that I have non a shelf in my garage. It was probably much less expensive than replacing the stock switch.

GDUP409!

Thanks everyone who responded. Now, onto the next gremlin. I’m happy to say that I’ve flushed out most of them since buying the 64 a little over a month ago. Also, I’ve come to learn about the need for a crossmember support between the upper rear shock mount brackets, after having already installed new air shocks to make the impala ride like a car instead of a boat rocking through waves and swells. Not a terrible lesson or trouble since I wanted to put the car up on jackIMG_0793.jpegIMG_0725.jpegIMG_0708.jpeg stands to paint the brake drums red and to continue the gremlin search.

409Kid

Well Known Member
Personally painting the brake drums is a bad idea in my point of view. The paint will act as an insulator and prevent the drum from dissipating heat properly.

GDUP409!

Thanks for your response 409Kid. Colors relate to the absorption of light, not heat transfer. The brake drum properties outweigh the thin layer of paint applied. The same holds true with painted engine colors.