This 63 Z11 did not survive the 70's (video)

Carmine

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 10
Beautiful car. I wonder what that would turn time/speed wise in the quarter mile??, Carmine.

Phalen409

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 6
Beautiful car. I wonder what that would turn time/speed wise in the quarter mile??, Carmine.
Engine dyno'ed 578 HP at 6000 rpm and 560 ft.pounds at 4000 rpm. Under 10 compression and hydraulic roller cam. Bryan Fugate drove it. He thinks maybe under 13 sec. I think faster. Still developing horsepower at 6000, but I was afraid to break something.

Z-11Guy

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 2
Many Z-11’s didn’t survive the late 1970’s. 1963’s were not popular then compared to ‘62’s. The ‘64’s were more popular than ‘63’s at the time as well for some reason as well.

region rat

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 3
Engine dyno'ed 578 HP at 6000 rpm and 560 ft.pounds at 4000 rpm. Under 10 compression and hydraulic roller cam. Bryan Fugate drove it. He thinks maybe under 13 sec. I think faster. Still developing horsepower at 6000, but I was afraid to break something.
It would be a little nuts to try to race a car like that. The chance of a failure could destroy the car on parts. I rolled the dice when I had the top half on mine, but I had a very sturdy shortblock and usaully kept it under 7200. Building a replica specificall to race would show what could have been. Easily into 10.60/126mph. Few guys raced those cars completly stock.

RussC

Well Known Member
Hmmm…lots of speculation. Something like 25 years ago there was a red 62 belair with Z11 power. GM castings…480 cu in…3350 #…full x frame back halted…naturally aspirated…no power adders. It ran 9.16 I don’t recall the mph…but must have been around 140.

Murphdog

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 2
Hmmm…lots of speculation. Something like 25 years ago there was a red 62 belair with Z11 power. GM castings…480 cu in…3350 #…full x frame back halted…naturally aspirated…no power adders. It ran 9.16 I don’t recall the mph…but must have been around 140.
Was that a red car out of Springfield Mo?
Jeff

63 dream'n

Well Seasoned Member
Supporting Member 4
I can remember years ago, seeing an article in super Chevy magazine, A fellow by the name of Mike, I believe had the Z11 top end package……. A red 62 Belair and I believe it had a roll cage.

Reactions: 327