409 Starter Question

john wise

Well Known Member
I have a 62 model with the dual Edelbrock carbs. The rear carb has a manual choke. If the car has been sitting for an extended period of time it is very hard to start. I'm sure in this hot ass Oklahoma heat the fuel evaporates in the fuel bowl. When it sits for awhile I go in, pump the gas pedal a few times, with the choke closed,and then crank it so gas gets up to the carbs. Usually it takes me about 3 or 4 times going through this routine until it starts. If it has only been sitting for a week all I have to do is apply the choke and it fires right up. Yesterday I went to start it, it had been sitting for a few weeks, and then went thru my routine of trying to start it. Went thru the cranking process about three times, then nothing. Engine would not crank and I could not even get a click out of the starter. Checked the battery, all was fine and all the other electric systems worked fine. Thinking the starter might be stuck, I put the trans in first gear, went to the front bumper and rocked the car back and forth a few times, got back in the car, hit the key and it fired right up. Anyone have any ideas?

427John

Well Known Member
I'm thinking the last time it cranked over for you the bendix hung up in the ring gear and when you rocked it in gear it released enough preload to let it snap back, it happens occasionally doesn't necessarily mean anything is wrong. Now if it starts doing it a lot it could mean there is some ring gear or starter bendix wear or damage or could mean that the starter needs to be shimmed out a little.

bobs409

Administrator
Prime your carb with some fuel so it fires right up. Save the wear and tear on your starter.
That's what I've been doing with my 409. I have a plastic squeeze bottle I put some gas in and just fill up the bowl thru the top vents. It takes the guess work out of getting it running. Used to be cranking and pumping the pedal but never knowing if it need more pumps or if I was flooding it! Argh! (and let me tell ya, a few times it got too much gas and backfired thru the exhaust!) I can still hear the ringing!! :scared

Using the prefill method it's just a pump or two and hit the key!

Last edited:

Iowa 409 Guy

Well Seasoned Member
Supporting Member 15
I'm thinking the last time it cranked over for you the bendix hung up in the ring gear and when you rocked it in gear it released enough preload to let it snap back, it happens occasionally doesn't necessarily mean anything is wrong. Now if it starts doing it a lot it could mean there is some ring gear or starter bendix wear or damage or could mean that the starter needs to be shimmed out a little.

Very possible. I remember the old Ford flatheads when starter locked up....pushing backwards or bashing starter with a BFH.....

pvs409

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 11
My 409 has Edelbrock 1406 carbs - rear carb has electric choke on factory 2-4 409 intake manifold.
The carbs have a thin metal plate under carbs to stop vacuum leaks on both carbs.
After sitting a few weeks it takes cranking it twice pumping crabs before it starts.
my starters are Hi Torque DB electric starters.

427John

Well Known Member
Very possible. I remember the old Ford flatheads when starter locked up....pushing backwards or bashing starter with a BFH.....
Ah yes the good old days, the inertia starter where the drive came in from the backside of the ring gear, Ford actually continued to use those on Y-blocks and FE's until 64, the MEL's used them too early on but after that engine became Lincoln only I'm guessing they switched to the later drive starter, wouldn't do for a Lincoln driver to have to get out there with a BFH.