"Seamless Frames"

rsavage

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 5
Tell me about seamless frames. It is a boxed type frame. My '62 appears to have one but my '63 has the regular frame that has the C channel on the rear end. I have read that there were 3 sources for the X frames and that GM built the (boxed type) seamless. When I first saw it I thought that it was an aftermarket frame. I'd like to know more.IMG-7577.jpgIMG-7685 (1).jpg

rsavage

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 5
My '62 has an A in the Vin so Atlanta for that one. (boxed). The '63 has an S so that was built in St. Louis.(rear section C channel type) same as my former '62.

Reactions: 327

bobs409

Administrator
The boxed frame indicates your car was originally a Taxi cab. Naw, just kiddiing! :laugh4

I don't know anything about the frames but put my Baltimore built 63 as having the C shaped rear rails.

oldskydog

Well Seasoned Member
Supporting Member 10
Looki in the assembly manual. It should show the different frame part numbers and likely the notation of "optional".

rsavage

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 5
This is from an old post I found - "from my understanding in the '60's Chevrolet used 3 different manufactures for their frames. AO Smith, Budd, and Chevrolet. The OASmith and Budd were very similar but you can tell the difference from the top side by the shape of the weld where the front bumper support is fastened. One is in the shape of a V, the other is a straight line.The Chevrolet frame as it was refered to was basically a one piece tubular frame. I don't think 'canadian' frames were made for just canadian cars."
The poster is correct as the boxed referred to as Canadian frames were used in cars assembled at various assembly plants in the US too. Maybe it was simply a case of what frames were available from which manufacturer at a given time

fourzeronine

Well Known Member
This is from an old post I found - "from my understanding in the '60's Chevrolet used 3 different manufactures for their frames. AO Smith, Budd, and Chevrolet. The OASmith and Budd were very similar but you can tell the difference from the top side by the shape of the weld where the front bumper support is fastened. One is in the shape of a V, the other is a straight line.The Chevrolet frame as it was refered to was basically a one piece tubular frame. I don't think 'canadian' frames were made for just canadian cars."
The poster is correct as the boxed referred to as Canadian frames were used in cars assembled at various assembly plants in the US too. Maybe it was simply a case of what frames were available from which manufacturer at a given time

AO Smith produced the convertible frames. They are welded C-channel.
Budd produced non-convertible frames. They are welded C-channel.
Chevrolet produced non-convertible frames. They are the extruded "box" tube frames. These were used in both US and Canada, although people will refer to them as "Canadian" frames.