1962 impala

Well Known Member
It is a Impala Sports Coupe with SS side trim and SS rear trim . And a 3 speed transmission.

Last edited:

rsavage

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 5
Casting number 3857656 does indicate a 409 block

Last edited:
Reactions: 327

pvs409

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 11
Carl Snelling stated how VIN tags indicated that the car came from GM with a 6 cylinder motor or a V-8 motor
See this posting -see his comment dated Jan 9, 2023

I copied Carl's comment from this link

"The cowl tag always shows the V8 version of the Style for Biscayne, Belair or Impala regardless of whether the car later had a 6 installed, but the VIN always shows the correct V8 or L6 number"

Paul

Dean's 61 bubble

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 4
In 62 the 1747 indicated impala 2 dr. hardtop and 1847 indicated impala SS 2 dr hardtop .....or there is a bunch of wrong publishings. Also "this" car has the impala side trim and no SS markings????? So i am VERY confused. I know you are a 62 man Paul, so what gives? I don't see anywhere that it is presented as "original"

our1962

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 2
Carl Snelling stated how VIN tags indicated that the car came from GM with a 6 cylinder motor or a V-8 motor
See this posting -see his comment dated Jan 9, 2023

I copied Carl's comment from this link

"The cowl tag always shows the V8 version of the Style for Biscayne, Belair or Impala regardless of whether the car later had a 6 installed, but the VIN always shows the correct V8 or L6 number"

Paul
Correct the car for sale was born a 6 cylinder and now it's a 409 clone. None of the plates were changed as you mentioned above.

Last edited:

Carl 1962

Well Known Member
In 62 the only way to distinguish Impala from SS is the trim number on the cowl tag which would indicate bucket seats thus an SS
That's only true for 1962 Super Sport built at Baltimore.

All other Fisher plants that built SS in 62 also had an ACC code or extra trim code that denoted if the car was built as a Super Sport.

pvs409

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 11
In 62 the 1747 indicated impala 2 dr. hardtop and 1847 indicated impala SS 2 dr hardtop .....or there is a bunch of wrong publishings. Also "this" car has the impala side trim and no SS markings????? So i am VERY confused. I know you are a 62 man Paul, so what gives? I don't see anywhere that it is presented as "original"
first the VIN does not tell you if car was a SS from 1961 to 1963.
In 1964 GM changed all 1964 VIN‘s to 41447 for all SS hardtops and 41467 for SS convertibles

This is the list of resources for VIN & Cowl tag information that I use.
This forum ( under Home) has a VIN decoder that clearly states that 11747, 21747, 31747 and 41747 are all factory 6 cylinder 2 door hardtops from 1961 to 1964.
The Late Great Chevy club 1958-1964 Information Data that they published ( copyright 1989) clearly lists 6 cylinder models in hardtops in 1747 models ( 6 cylinder 2 door hardtop models)
Chevrolet by the Numbers 1960-1964 by Alan Colvin ( sold by Chevy dealers and other sources )also has 6 cylinder models using 1747 models ( 6 cylinder 2 door hardtop models)

Any 62 ( or 63 or 64 ) can have SS items added to a impala bench seat model. The gold 62 in question here had only SS trim added ( buy buying SS trim with the metal SS inserts or adding metal SS inserts to painted 62 impala side trim)
The SS trunk panels can be purchased and installed and was on the 62 gold impala
The 1962 gold impala is missing a number of factory 1962 SS items ( SS emblems, buckets, SS dash trim etc ) The Cowl tag on the gold 1962 Impala clearly indicates that GM produced it as a bench seat gold interior Impala trim # 892 on cowl tag.

Paul

denson1932

Well Known Member
OUR WHITE 1962 IMPALA 2DRHT SHOWN IN OUR PROFILE PIX HAS A 1847 IN THE STYLE NUMBER ON THE COWL DATA TAG AND A 1747 ON THE VIN TAG. IT WAS BUILT IN ST LOUIS AS S APPEARS ON VIN TAG AND SL ON THE COWL DATA TAG. I PUT A 1962 327 ENGINE IN IT BUT WAS TOLD BY THE PREVIOUS OWNER IT WAS ORIGINALLY A 6-CYLINDER, IT SEEMS TO BE AUTHENTIC.

Last edited:

denson1932

Well Known Member
OUR 'RAGGEDY ANN' A 1962 IMPALA SS 2DRHT WAS GIVEN TO US AS IT WAS A COMPLETELY STRIPPED BARE BODY SHELL DESTINED TO BE CRUSHED. LUCKILY THE TAGS ARE INTACT SO I BUILT IT TO A COMPLETE CAR WITH GOOD TITLE. THE CORRECT ORIGINAL NOT REPR0 BUCKET SEAT WELDED IN FLOOR BRACKETS AND 867 FAWN VINYL BUCKET SEAT TRIM CODE PLUS THE GRAB BAR MTG. HOLES VERIFY IT WAS A TRUE SS.T IT SHOWS 1847 ON BOTH TAGS.

THE ANNIVERSARY IMPALA IN THE PIXS SHOWS AN AFTERMARKET FRONT SWAY BAR AND BRACKETS SUGGESTING IT WAS ORIGINALLY A 6 CYL.
THE DESCRIPTION PROVIDED IN THE DEALER LISTING SEEMS TO BE HONEST AND CORRECT.

I WOULD BUY THAT CAR IF I COULD AFFORD IT!