What are the odds?

303Radar

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 2
Fun info on the Bubble Top.
It has a 427 with velocity stacks.
The engine has been set back by at least a foot. So, there are mods to the fire wall, cowl and the windshield.
In fact, the engine is so far back, that the windshield has been notched with a water jet to clear the rear velocity stacks.
I don't remember which year Vette was used, but the front with suspension has been grafted on to the 61 frame. It is running 1 piece driveshaft to the Vette IRS.
If I get a chance to look underneath, I'll grab a pic.

Reactions: 327

303Radar

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 2
I did ask the shop owner about posting pics and he said yes.
I would have understood if he had said no.
I've met the owner of the Bubble Top. He's a nice guy and has the Winters intake I posted about in the What is it section.
I've passed him a link to the site and invited him to join.
He's burned out on forums but may drop by.

303Radar

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 2
The owner of the shop, Bryce originally asked the question, what are the odds?
Too bad he has such a small shop, I'd love to see some form of each of the missing X Frames.
That would be my idea of a full house.

Last edited:

fourzeronine

Well Known Member
The shop doing the 59 El Camino work has a 60 wagon and 61 bubble top at the same time.
For not being a speciality shop, what are the odds?
The X-frame cars are pretty popular now, so I wouldn't find it too odd for a shop to have multiple of them at one time.

Fun info on the Bubble Top.
It has a 427 with velocity stacks.
The engine has been set back by at least a foot. So, there are mods to the fire wall, cowl and the windshield.
In fact, the engine is so far back, that the windshield has been notched with a water jet to clear the rear velocity stacks.
I don't remember which year Vette was used, but the front with suspension has been grafted on to the 61 frame. It is running 1 piece driveshaft to the Vette IRS.
If I get a chance to look underneath, I'll grab a pic.

That's strange. Why is the engine set back so far when it's not necessary at all in order to fit a BBC in a X-frame car?

303Radar

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 2
The X-frame cars are pretty popular now, so I wouldn't find it too odd for a shop to have multiple of them at one time.

That's strange. Why is the engine set back so far when it's not necessary at all in order to fit a BBC in a X-frame car?
The engine is set so far back to accomodate the front Vette steering. The rack and pinion from the Vette donor doesn't go under the engine, rather, it goes in front of the engine.

I'm sure there are other ways the setup could have been done, but that is what the customer was willing to pay for!