1962 Impala grille

Pangloss2007

Well Known Member
I need a grille and hood moulding to match for my '62 Impala. They built one million of these cars, why can't I find an affordable grille? I would prefer an OEM because this is a survivor, no rust, just a long motor replacement, all the parts are matching numbers. The car got bashed in transit (not all cowboys ride horses!).

Reactions: 327

our1962

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 2
I have a grill and hood lip, OEM used came off a 62-bubble top, I'll get some pictures posted by Monday if you're interested.

pvs409

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 11
I have 7 original 1962 grills and 7 original hood lip moldings to sell
variable conditions

Carl 1962

Well Known Member
If you're chasing original, the top grille teeth changed mid 1962 production. The earlier grilles had tall teeth and the later ones had cut down teeth because it is believed that there was some interference problems with the taller teeth. Verne and I were trying to work out when the change happened, but we never finished that research. You can swap the teeth if the new grille you get has the different size teeth. The following photos show the differences.

4a0b3d69-9fae-4d98-9d74-fc26def08a87.jpg

Early tall teeth
20201026_105106 v2.jpg

Later cut down teeth
grille teeth.JPG

Pangloss2007

Well Known Member
Many thanks! Locally I have got the hood molding and the strip on top of the grille that holds the teeth. For the moment I need 3-6 teeth (low kind, many thanks Carl for the clarification!). I will be needing the alloy part of the grille, but it can wait if I can get then rest back together.

With the teeth, if anybody has some spares maybe they could post them in a padded postbag? Another very small item I need is the plastic hold down nut for the rear mounted antenna on the RH fender top. The car has aftermarket door mirrors, and one is missing its head. I have an EOM replacement, but the hole pattern is different, looks like it may have been a Dealer fit as they look original. I don't want to be drilling more holes in the doors if possible. Car is stripped out ready for painting, minor rust along the trunk lip on both sides, that's all. Very nice model, '62, the year GM got it all right.

I am grateful for your expertise and advice, thank you all very much! If anyone has those small parts I can send my mailing address, they should all fit in padded postbag.

Last edited:

pvs409

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 11
I might have some of the smaller grill teeth.
The 61-62 Chevy rear chrome & plastic cap ( that screws to the chrome mount on the top of the rear 1/4) has been on back order for 2-3 years.
I just found out that Show Cars Inc is getting the caps ( finally ) by next week from their suppler.
I have had 5-7 of the chrome caps on back order - I can get a new one for you……..to sell to you…….
( nice used ones are very hard to find to purchase separately ( without buying a mostly complete used antenna.

I have shipped by US Post Office many to Australia with customs form ( have to pick value for parts..
Paul

Colin

Well Known Member
Leaned something new I knew there were tall and short but not why or when my car is a late61 build with tall teeth

Carl 1962

Well Known Member
Leaned something new I knew there were tall and short but not why or when my car is a late61 build with tall teeth
G'day Colin, I think I've recorded a 62 sedan of yours built in Feb 62, do you have another 62 as well?