First 409

Croshd

Well I would not purchase them till you send the block to the machinist have him clean up the cylinders and he will tell you what size pistons you need. I do recommend Ross pistons. there’s a guy called Jack Gibbs. He’s not all that far from you. He is a good source for 409 motors and Parts and he will build it for you. Been working on this car since the 60s.

Impala62

Supporting Member 1
Thanks for all the welcomes. As usual I have another question. Are bronze guides required or recommended with stainless valves? I have heard yes and no on this. What are the opinions on this from the 409 gurus? My cast heads have surprisingly good guide fit.

Lost in the 60's

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 1
I have a compete, running 409 sitting here I should sell. It was originally built several years ago for Wings Kalahan of Hot Rod Radio fame. It is a '65 truck block with '61 348 heads and intake. Comes with the larger, but not the largest, exhaust manifolds, pulleys and brackets for PS, Alt and A/C. Wings sold the '65 Biscayne he had it in to another person in MSRA, who removed it for an LS conversion. I've had it for about 8 years now, damn time flies, and it was in my '62 SS for 5 years. Good running engine after I removed some troublesome after market rocker arms and locks, that didn't, for stock parts. Paid 5k and would like to see that back for it.
I, also, have a Show Cars header Kit in the box #7596 that cost me $500 with shipping that I will include with the engine.
OR I will sell them separately for $350 with local pickup.
Yes, logistics would be an issue with the engine and headers, as I live near Hudson WISCONSIN, not NY...

DSCN9622.JPGDSCN9623.JPG

Impala62

Supporting Member 1
Looks good but too far to think about. I see this engine build as a learning project. As long as we keep learning we keep living. I haven’t assembled an engine in 40 years but may do this one myself.

Phil

Lost in the 60's

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 1
Yep, even meeting half way is 650 miles for both of us...
By the way, us "dinosaurs" still have desk tops and don't use our phones to post pics... well, some of us, anyway. ;)
At 72, I'm starting to realize my current project backlog will outlive me. Time to divest.

1958 delivery

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 2
Me I'd use just the block. Stroker crank and good aftermarket aluminum heads. You already need to buy new pistons and you'll spend almost as much trying to rebuild those heads properly and will have an inferior set. The only thing debate able would be stock or stroker crank. Much more power with stroker.

Impala62

Supporting Member 1
Considered aluminum heads but 3 grand is a bit much for power I can’t really put to the ground without spending more there. Another $500 for the intake and the budget is getting out of hand. I’m looking for good street performance, not a street/ strip project. Heads need larger intake valves and some porting to get where I want to be. Add pistons, intake, cam and lifters and l’m not too deep in the pockets. I still have a car to restore too.

Thanks
Phil

oldskydog

Well Seasoned Member
Supporting Member 10
I have a compete, running 409 sitting here I should sell. It was originally built several years ago for Wings Kalahan of Hot Rod Radio fame. It is a '65 truck block with '61 348 heads and intake. Comes with the larger, but not the largest, exhaust manifolds, pulleys and brackets for PS, Alt and A/C. Wings sold the '65 Biscayne he had it in to another person in MSRA, who removed it for an LS conversion. I've had it for about 8 years now, damn time flies, and it was in my '62 SS for 5 years. Good running engine after I removed some troublesome after market rocker arms and locks, that didn't, for stock parts. Paid 5k and would like to see that back for it.
I, also, have a Show Cars header Kit in the box #7596 that cost me $500 with shipping that I will include with the engine.
OR I will sell them separately for $350 with local pickup.
Yes, logistics would be an issue with the engine and headers, as I live near Hudson WISCONSIN, not NY...

View attachment 148044View attachment 148045
What is the casting number of the intake and the heads?

Impala62

Supporting Member 1
Just found a potential problem with the damaged head. Apparently a valve was dropped in the past. Hardened seat on intake side and a crack in the valve guide boss. Have not taken for crack/pressure testing yet. Is this crack a death sentence for the head if nothing else shows up? Looked around for another 817 head at a “reasonable “ price before with no luck.
Thanks
Phil

Attachments

• 44B7883A-E000-489C-9095-45BFFF8E847C.jpeg
    44B7883A-E000-489C-9095-45BFFF8E847C.jpeg
    84.8 KB · Views: 24

Impala62

Supporting Member 1
Went ahead and broke out the cracked piece. Not as bad as I feared. Since the intake valve has a hardened seat already do I have room for the bigger valve with a hardened seat if there is not room to cut the 2.2 seat after removing the insert? How critical is the larger valve for my 400 hp goal?
Thanks for your opinions
Phil

Attachments

• F34D0D62-446C-4A83-9427-7804C6AEF79E.jpeg
    F34D0D62-446C-4A83-9427-7804C6AEF79E.jpeg
    102.2 KB · Views: 14
  • 8630B61B-1503-4229-9C1D-75B51D6034ED.jpeg
    8630B61B-1503-4229-9C1D-75B51D6034ED.jpeg
    117.2 KB · Views: 14

Impala62

Supporting Member 1
Seat diameter is about 2.07” as near as I can measure and about .325” deep from the machined surface of the head(gasket surface).

Impala62

Supporting Member 1
Thanks Don. I’ll discuss this with the machine shop and go with 2.07 valves if there is any risk of further damage. I guess there is no such thing as a “budget” build on one of these. Pistons, cam, lifters, springs and who knows what else at this point. I’m often asked why not an LS but they just don’t understand.
Phil