Broken Valve Spring

DaveN

Well Known Member
I have a broken valve spring it was on a set of 690's built some time ago so I don't know what brand of spring or anything and I'm for sure not an expert but was wondering if someone could help me source some. here is the info I have O.D 1.540 I.D. 1.125 Free Hight 2.420 Wire Size .205 I'm hoping to find one to get me through the summer cruise season then change them all this winter. I have the Isky 0942 cam from showcars in the engine.

Attachments

• 20240608_104644.jpg
    20240608_104644.jpg
    81.3 KB · Views: 18
  • 20240608_104706.jpg
    20240608_104706.jpg
    69.9 KB · Views: 17
Last edited:

64ss409

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 9
Show Cars lists 3 springs that will work with the 0942 cam. You could give them a call, buy the set, install one now and the rest this winter.

BTW I have always used dr409.com to access their site. It doesn't work anymore.:dunno

Skip FIx

Well Known Member
I'd start from scratch and buy a new matching set.If one broke who knows if the others have fatigued enough to break in the future?
Dual spring outer or just a single spring? If singles I would for sure swap them all out before a catastrophic dropped valve!
I'd pull another and at least get specs on seat pressure and open pressure to match.

409forever

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 3
Dave
Contact Jack Gibbs (530 934 4336) He may give some direction and have a set of springs that will work
last time I spoke with Jack (several months ago) he had just gotten out of the hospital from 4 operations he said all he was doing now was selling parts for 348/409
Good luck on your repair

No409

Supporting Member 1
Dave
Contact Jack Gibbs (530 934 4336) He may give some direction and have a set of springs that will work
last time I spoke with Jack (several months ago) he had just gotten out of the hospital from 4 operations he said all he was doing now was selling parts for 348/409
Good luck on your repair
i was over his house yesterday. hes doing ok. He would be the guy to ask

425/409ER

Well Known Member
I buy a lot of valve springs form Comp Products in WI. Only had one spring break in 20 years but I think my cam was not rated for the springs I used, no biggie, I just got a new stiffer set and all was well.

Skip FIx

Well Known Member
For a solid flat tappet I look for around 140 to 150 seat pressure and maybe 350 open. For a mild cam like that you might get by on the lower side. Don't worry about free height just "Installed height". I'd check at least a couple of others to see what your installed height is and what pressures they are running.

boxerdog

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 5
I wouldn't assume anything about the coilbind height or retainer-guide clearance either if you didn't do them yourself. Following up unknown work and unknown parts can be troublesome. I'd measure everything and check in with Jack, that sounds like a good plan.

Red 409 63 impala

Well Known Member
I had the same thing happen to me. 63 409 425 hp engine (now 400 hp). I did not know what kind of a cam was in the engine except it was a hydraulic and and performance cam. I removed a good spring and found Edelbrock 5862 was very close. Brought it to a local speed shop they agreed and I installed them...engine seems fine. The summer drives will show if it was good fit. I do not race the car. The springs in the heads were a single spring so I removed the inner springs.

DaveN

Well Known Member
Started installing the new springs using the Lisle 36200 valve keeper remover and installer works great. Air up the cylinder put the remover over the retainer bop the tool with a hammer and the keepers pop right out and into the remover that is magnetized. get your new spring put your retainer and new locks orient the installer bop it and the keepers go right into place. Great little tool.