1962 409 Bubble top with a lightweight front end.

Blk61409

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 9
Original,unrestored matching numbers with only 574 miles. This is what he claims does anybody know this particular 409 Chevy?

Certainly not as portrayed. I called the curator of the museum to explain the differences between the narrative and what is shown on the video. He was a nice guy, but really didn’t care. I shared how the intake manifold was a Z-11, not the pre-production Service Package casting as portrayed. Given there were never any 62’s actually built by the factory with the Service Package parts it’s impossible for this to be an original car as portrayed.
I attempted to share the history of these cars and the curator said his owner was probably not aware but liked the car.
I thanked him for his time and hung up.

Such a shame since it is a collection of mixed nice parts.

pvs409

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 11
I saw this 62 in person at a Winterfest indoor show in Sioux Falls, South Dakota about 7 years ago.
At the time I did not think it was a real Z-11 car.
Paul

pvs409

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 11
Here is a picture from the Sioux Falls show
I have a cowl tag picture and a front pad of the engine picture -I have to resize them

P1030041.JPG

Blk61409

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 9
Look closely at the casting date and part number.
Hayden Proffitt told me personally it was July, 1962 when he received the new engine parts all crated together and about a week later the aluminum front end parts.

Attachments

• 164DF43A-EF6F-4F58-A2BF-352D4A341876.jpeg
    164DF43A-EF6F-4F58-A2BF-352D4A341876.jpeg
    74.4 KB · Views: 26

fourzeronine

Well Known Member
Certainly not as portrayed. I called the curator of the museum to explain the differences between the narrative and what is shown on the video. He was a nice guy, but really didn’t care. I shared how the intake manifold was a Z-11, not the pre-production Service Package casting as portrayed. Given there were never any 62’s actually built by the factory with the Service Package parts it’s impossible for this to be an original car as portrayed.
I attempted to share the history of these cars and the curator said his owner was probably not aware but liked the car.
I thanked him for his time and hung up.

Such a shame since it is a collection of mixed nice parts.

The owner has a variety of nice vehicles. Some with more accurate background stories than others. IIRC, he has a '63 Z11 car, too.