Who do you recommend for Classic Car Insurance?

RFE3

Well Known Member
Hi Guys and Gals,
Who are you using for Classic Car Insurance these days? I know there is Hagertys and I thought I read somewhere that there was a newer one out of Texas?? that people were switching to. I need to get all my Classic Cars and Motorbikes off of my Progressive Policy because they have gone past the point of "Normal Insurance" and I need some Agreed Value Policies.

Thanks.

Reactions: 327

JED

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 6
I've got all my "toys" insured with Hagertys. Plus they also have a "project car" policy that I am using for my '33 Ford roadster under construction. It covers the costs of the project and can be increased as the project value increases (e.g., more parts, added paint cost, etc.) until it's time to drive it, then you have to switch it over to one of their regular policies. I've been very happy with them so far.

R63ss

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 5
It’s two players for agreed upon value I know of are Hagerty and Grundy.I have Hagerty.
I have heard about people insuring thru the National corvette museum for less money but I never followed thru with contacting them.
Hagerty has a valuation page where you can put in any car and the will give you the value in concours,Excellant,Good,and fair condition.They track auctions,sales,and market trends.It is updated quarterly.
Like Jed stated Hagerty does have a restoration policy that covers collision,fire and theft.You can increase the value as you get along in the restoration.I had it for my convertible.My wife set it up and she said the lady was “so nice” that helped her.I was looking at my first statement and saw I was paying for liability and I had the roadside assistance.I didn’t even have the motor in the car.lol
But one phone call and they fixed it.

bobs409

Administrator
I'm with Hagerty but can't say if they are any good. LOL I never had to file a claim. They cashed my checks just fine however if that counts.

Seriously though I think they would pull thru if I had trouble. Isn't it funny, insurance is something you buy but hope you never need!

RFE3

Well Known Member
Super...Thanks. Grundys was the other one I'd heard about but couldn't remember the name. I have several other Cars and Motorbikes besides the 55 Chevy and 64 Impala that fall into the "Classic" range and need better Coverage.

I have a Pristine 1976 Mazda Cosmo with 7k original miles
A 1973 Mazda RX 3 with one of my Dads 280HP 13B Bridge Ported Rotatys in it that he used for SCCA Slalom Racing
A Pristine 1984 Mazda RX 7 GSL-SE
A 1946 Norton Model 18
A 1968 Triumph T120
A 1976 Guzzi LeMans I
A 1981 Guzzi LeMans II
A 1991 Guzzi 1000s (1 of only about 180 imported into the USA)
A 1996 Guzzi 1100s
A 1986 Harley XLH-883 (Don't really count this one as a Motorbike...More of an Anchor with Wheels...) ;)

Last edited:

1958 delivery

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 2
I have used Grundy for at least 15 years now. I have heard stories about other carriers, like they want to track your mileage etc. Grundys has been very easy to deal with, especially when I was buying different cars once or twice yearly. I go online and add a new vehicle, they have me upload a couple pictures and usually within an hour underwriting approves it. The only time they slightly questioned me was a picture of the car was parked outside and they do specify the car is garaged. I just explained the car was in the driveway for the picture and sent another picture of the car inside my garage. Case closed. I have also heard that Hagerty's is a lot more money.

pvs409

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 11
I have had State Farm for over 20 years for my 62’s and my 57.
For some of my 1962 Impala SS cars I submitted appraisals for them when requested
by State Farm.

Their prices for my actual values and deductable amount are low in my opinion.
I collected money on my 57 about 10 years ago with some damage no issues with the amount needed.
They remind me to check my values sometimes.
Paul

61-63

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 5
I've had Hagerty's for probably twenty years both for done cars and cars in progress for which I increase the coverage incrementally as the car gets done and they remind you to do this. A couple of months ago I had an engine fire in a '63 Lemans 421 superduty clone engine fire and they were there on the spot. The money for that is in the bank waiting for me to pull the engine and get the car in the paint and body shop. I want to pull the engine so I can fix the errors the original builder made when doing the car.

1964SuperStocker

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 3
I actually used Progressive for 20 years up until just 8 years ago I switched over to Hagerty. My 64 Impala was my daily driver forever then when I moved, I decided it was time to upgrade to Hagerty. Way better service.