61 biscayne build

Dean's 61 bubble

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 4
replacing power brakes with manual brakes on my 61 impala and discovered there is no return spring on the brake arm ... making it a little tough to set free play, I have a set of stick pedals; does any one know if the brake return spring is the same and can the brake arm be removed in the car...this is a new problem for me. Thanks

Last edited:

pvs409

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 11
Questions and comments.
do you have factory 61 Chevy clutch and brake pedals ? 1961 factory pedals have the clutch return spring under the dash on the passenger side of the pedals. The underdash brake arm (on a 61 factory set of brake & clutch pedals) - has a non threaded upper rod that connects to the 1961 Z- bar upper pin on the Z - bar.

1962 clutch & brake pedals have the pull back spring under the hood connecting the Z bar arm to the body mount area. 1962 pedals will fit the 1961 under dash brace. 1962 factory clutch pedals have a threaded upper rod from the clutch pedal to the Z- bar

There is no pull back spring on the brake pedal in 61 or 62 or 63 & 64.

The 1961 to 1964 factory power brake booster has a different arm( with a round pin connector on each end) than a manual brake 1961 or 1962 push rod that connects directly to the master cylinder by a push rod and a pin in the brake pedal connection.

I have 2 factory 1962 power brake cars ( one was converted to power brakes from standard brakes). No brake pedal return spring on either set. The only difference in a 61 or 62 power brake booster is a Moraine or Bendix booster unit using the factory 61 master cylinder or a factory 62 master cylinder.

I also have a aftermarket 8” booster from Right Stuff ( with dual master cylinder) on my 62 409 SS car that I race( no pull back spring on the brake pedal - just a different arm to connect it to the factory brake pedal that connects to the factory hole in the brake pedal

Paul

nana1962409

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 2
Not trying to argue Paul but I have 2 sets of pedals for a 62 with a brake pull back spring and a set of 61 pedals that has never been apart that has the spring on the brake pedal yet. As far as doing it in the car it should be doable just have to get the clutch return spring off. Here is a pic of my 61 pedals with the spring on it.IMG_6124.jpeg

pvs409

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 11
That long spring(of that 1961 pedal set) in the upper part of the picture above the brake light switch is for the clutch pedal (i just pushed the 1961 clutch pedal on my set not mounted to in a car and it almost took my hand off -that spring is strong to return the clutch pedal for proper free play on the pressure plate.

The small internal spring inside the support bracket for both pedals - wrapped around the shaft of the clutch pedal is the pull back spring for the brake pedal -that small brake pedal spring is on all clutch and brake pedal sets stick or powerglide.

shown below is 1962 factory clutch and brake pedal set. Only spring is the one wrapped around the shaft of the clutch pedal (you can see a small portion of the black painted spring in the picture).
No pull back spring on the 62 clutch pedal under the dash... (spring is under the hood)

When pushing the brake pedal you get slight resistance that returns the brake pedal to the original location by the spring wrapped around the shaft

IMG_0004-002.JPG

pvs409

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 11
picture below of the factory brake pedal pull back spring (painted black not installed on the shaft of the clutch pedal inside the dash support) that is used and factory installed on all 1961. 1962 and 1963 and 1964 clutch pedals and powerglide brake pedals

IMG_0045.JPG

Dean's 61 bubble

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 4
HI Paul, hope you are well....sorry for the commotion, the wound coil spring is NOT on the pivot point of my POWER brake car with powerglide , so when i removed the clevis rod (hooked on both ends, brake pedal arm to vacuum booster) from the power brake pedal arm the pedal just floats free. I decided to not rebuild the moriane power brakes and just convert to manual brakes, so now i need that coiled brake return spring, because the manual clevis rod floats free in the master cylinder.......this is a powerglide car, so my original question was ...did a POWER brake car not have that coiled spring around the brake pedal pivot point? and can i remove the brake arm in the car to install a coil spring?

pvs409

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 11
Post a Picture of your brake pedal and underdash bracket - are you missing the spring around the shaft of the pedal?
I have plenty of the springs for stick and powerglide and power brake pedals ( like the spring in my last posted picture above).

pvs409

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 11
Here is 62 powerbrake pedal I sold with the factory spring for the brake pedal
Do you need this spring on your pedal set ?

IMG_0001-004.JPGIMG_0006-005.JPG

pvs409

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 11
Someone left that spring from your pedals - there is a notch in the underdash bracket for one end
of the spring ( I can send you a restored spring )
I suggest calling me to review the removal and replacement of the pedal and adding the spring, not easy to write
about how it’s done. Might need a facetime ? If you have that on your phone..

you have a 61 pedal set( with underdash spring for clutch pedal )or a 62 pedal set?

I will send my phone # in a message

La Hot Rods

Well Seasoned Member
Supporting Member 16
If you see in the picture Paul showed. The pivot pin has slot in it that would have a clip in it. Remove the clip then slide the pivot pin out. It's not going to be easy to get to but it can be done.