409 Cam

William Malik

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 2
This is a cam I am looking to buy to replace the hydraulic cam installed in my 62 Biscayne 20+ years ago. This is an old Melling cam that has never been installed. Is it close to the 409 HP specs as original. I just miss the sound of solid lifters.Cam Shaft.jpg

Don Jacks

Well Seasoned Member
Supporting Member 3
No,it isn't.Get with Camcrafters and they can set you up with either a 62,a 63 or a 64-65 solid lifter grind.A good choice would be a 63 grind ground on a 110 lobe seperation as opposed to the factory 113.They can do that for about 265.00 and supply the good Johnson lifters.

57Chevy_409

I can't even understand what you guys are talking about, but a 409 guru had me change my stock cam to a:
ISKY Racing Cam 241647 409 Chevy V8 H-647 HL-HYD 110°LC
(348/409 Isky hydraulic cam .458 intake and exhaust valve lift,
.208 duration at .050, 110* lobe separation. 1500-4500 power range)
Supposedly nothing wild but wakes up the 'ol motor. I really can't evaluate since the engine is still on the stand.

La Hot Rods

Well Seasoned Member
Supporting Member 16
He is wanting a solid lifter cam for that sound under the hood.
Funny story, I was helping my oldest son with his first car. It was an 82 Camaro that needed an engine transplant. I asked him what kind of a engine he wanted and he said one that sounds like solid lifter small block in my 65 Chevelle :good Whole different story how I did that. :D

IMBVSUR?

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 2
He is wanting a solid lifter cam for that sound under the hood.
Funny story, I was helping my oldest son with his first car. It was an 82 Camaro that needed an engine transplant. I asked him what kind of a engine he wanted and he said one that sounds like solid lifter small block in my 65 Chevelle :good Whole different story how I did that. :D
I am guessing you made him a mix tape of the sounds of your engine and told him to play it while driving :D:D:D

427John

Well Known Member
Anyone that can get a 305 to produce has my admiration. :bow
That's funny reminds me of the 305 that was in my 64 K20 when I got it back from my brother, it was a motor I threw together to put in the truck since it was engineless when acquired, basically freshened up the shortblock with hone and rings found a set of the 1.84/1.50 valved small chambered H.O. heads and put an unremembered hyd. performance cam (knowing me probably one of the 350 horse 327 cams that were the rage for a while) with a performer intake and edelbrock carb. I did well enough that my brother was happy with it, but of course when I got it back that simply wouldn't do so I snagged a Gen V 454 out of the local pull and save and swapped it in using one of the 66-67 396 350 horse iron intakes with the Holley pattern and a set of Corvette exhaust manifolds. Took it for a test drive and was disgusted because I could barely tell any improvement over the 305 I pulled out,don't know if that spoke well for the 305 or if it spoke shit for the 454, but I almost immediately swapped on a set of GenV dumptruck 427T closed chamber large oval port heads in place of the open chamber peanut ports( used the valves from PP's to upgrade the dumptruck heads to 2.06/1.72), retrofitted a ZZ502 hyd. roller cam and reused the same intake and eddie 750 carb, only then did the BB impress me and exceeded my expectations.