New guy

noob

Greetings all. Just joined the site. Thanks for having me. I have always been a car kid and guy. Always on the hunt looking for an old cool car. I am out in crazy California. Still have my 65' mustang from when I was 15 years old. My dad is a Chevy guy who always talked about the various cool engines and sleeper hotrods he likes. I recently started looking at 409's. I came across what I believe to be one in CA, but I do not know the various identification marks. Thought I would join the site to learn more about the 409 and see if I can pick up on some tricks and tips. Thanks again.

noob

Hi Skip. Notchback. Nothing fancy. Just a 289 with a manual. Cut my teeth on it pulling the engine and doing all of the intro mechanical fixes/upgrades as a kid. I am happy to still have it after 25+ years.

On a Chevy note. I have come across what is advertised as a 63' Biscayne Station Wagon with a factory 4 speed/409. This particular car has been for sale for the better part of the past year. Price keeps dropping and dropping. I have not seen in person, but plan on going if it appears this car is true. I don't have any reason to not believe the seller, I just don't have enough knowledge on the matter. Im sure there are plenty of fakes, knock-offs, and unknowingly owned replicas out there.

Seems like a rather rare combo, but I could be completely off. I like the idea of the sleeper wagon, especially having a handful of small kids at home. Maybe some of you on here have already seen this car. I was going to try and keep it quite on the location in hopes someone doesn't scoop it! Apologies for the sideways photo, it's the only way I can post it.

Attachments

• IMG_4776.jpg
    IMG_4776.jpg
    72.2 KB · Views: 21

IMBVSUR?

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 2
I have no desire to scoop it, however it's too late, you have got my curiosity up. So if it's advertised I am trying to find it just to look it over :D

Carl 1962

Well Known Member
The cowl tag is for an ermine white Biscayne 6-passenger wagon built 2nd week of June (June 19th) 1963 at Van Nuys CA with aqua interior, tinted windshield, padded dash and a 4-speed transmission. It was the 4,059th Biscayne wagon built at Van Nuys in the 63 model year.

A 409 4-speed Biscayne wagon would be extremely rare and if I recall correctly, a 4-speed could only be ordered behind a 327 or 409 in 63. Both the 327 and 409 had 3/8" fuel line, but only the 409 had a 1/4" return line to the gas tank. If it was a 300hp 327 or a 409, I think it would also have a tach on the dash. Cecil might need to confirm.

bobs409

Administrator
And, if the are claiming it's an original 409, check the front stamping pad for a VIN and if original to the car, it has to match the car's vin in door jam.

1964SuperStocker

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 3
DID SOMEONE SAY WAGON! Welcome Noob. Not sure I'll make it out to Cali any time soon but we are planning some epic trips in my 64 Belair 9 Passenger Auto (700r4), A/C and power everything wagon. I stuffed a posi and a ladder bar under the car and have been racing it the last few years. Its retired now to family duty. I was in the process of buying a 63 Biscayne wagon when I called an ad for a 3rd row seat for sale on line. The ad was 4 years old at that time and 30minutes before I called the previous owner of this car had just posted it Ebay. We made a deal, I showed up and this baby is mine. Keep me posted if you get the wagon and need parts.
20220909_085524.jpg

noob

Very cool car Randy. The wagon look really brings it all together for me.
I spoke with the Biscayne wagon 409 owner in depth. I am planning on taking a trailer down for a look next week after the 4th. I heard the back story on the car and it's all very convincing. The short of it is the wagon has been sitting in a shed for the past 50 years. Taken off the road in 73'.
More to follow on the story once I see it in person.

noob

Went for a look yesterday. The wagon was awesome. Rough around the edges but a very cool car. Made an offer and took her home. Exciting car to have. Have not spent much time going over the car at home. I will get further into it today. Any ideas where a build sheet might be? The story goes the build sheet has never been located.
Lots of stories with the car. As car lore goes, believe what you want to. Here is the word of mouth history.
Original owner purchased the wagon to tow his 409 dragster with. The tow hitch is still there.
Owner knew somebody at the DMV. No vanity plates were available in 63'. The license plate reads IDR094. Either I "drive" or "drag" the number combination of 409.
Sold in 68' to second owner. Who collected muscle cars. Last registration on the plate is 1970. Matching the story the vehicle sat outside in a poorly covered shelter until 4 years ago. Third owner who I purchased from did various attempts at body work, rim/tire swap, exhaust, mostly knick knacking around.

If there is a better way to post these pictures, please let me know. I uploaded as "full size", but the pics seem small.

Attachments

• IMG_5033.jpg
    IMG_5033.jpg
    73 KB · Views: 35
  • IMG_5032.jpg
    IMG_5032.jpg
    67 KB · Views: 35
  • IMG_5011.jpg
    IMG_5011.jpg
    68.6 KB · Views: 29
  • IMG_5009.jpg
    IMG_5009.jpg