350 Trans Length?

62BillT

Well Known Member
A friend of mine wants to go from a Powerglide to a 350 Auto Trans in his '62 Impala. Need to verify that the Trans is the same length, using the same type of rear mount and cross member. My knowledge consists of a Clutch Pedal, lol.

Thanks

bobs409

Administrator
There were different length tail shafts. I think one was 6 inch and possibly a 9 inch? Might be another too.

I'll let someone that knows more take it from here. :D

NCPOP

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 3
A friend of mine wants to go from a Powerglide to a 350 Auto Trans in his '62 Impala. Need to verify that the Trans is the same length, using the same type of rear mount and cross member. My knowledge consists of a Clutch Pedal, lol.

Thanks
Google GM transmission length, lots of info with a chart. If I remember correctly as I swapped out a PG for a 350 a couple times. The cross member location was ok, but I short the drive shaft. Actually 1 car was a turbo glide and one was a cast iron PG.

62BillT

Well Known Member
Great diagram, thanks. That answers the questions that we had.

Although it won't matter for what he is wanting to accomplish, notice that they have the math wrong. On the TH 350 they have the length from the front edge of the trans to the "center" of the trans mount at 22 1/4 Inches, then they have the measurement from the front edge of the trans to the "back edge" of the trans mount at 21 5/8 Inches. It should be longer, not shorter, lol. Some of the other charts online have the PG the same way.

Carl 1962

Well Known Member
I installed a TH350 with the 6" tail in place of the original aluminium Powerglide in my 62. I think the 62 powerglide is a bit shorter than later ones and I had to shorten the front tail shaft by 40mm. I had to grind off about 1/4" from the original trans cross member to fit the TH350 pan. I made my own linkage so that I could keep the column shift original, and I bought a new plastic selector quadrant from, I think, Classic Industries.

425/409ER

Well Known Member

Thanks
If he has the factory P/G it ain't going to work as the factory P/G is shorter. The turbo 350 is the same length as a 4speed so to use the turbo 350 you'll need a different front part of the driveshaft. I know I converted mine back in the 90's.