What's going on in Maryland?

Dond409

Supporting Member 1
ACCOKEEK, Md.(AP) A car plowed into a crowd that had gathered to watch a drag race on a suburban road early Saturday, killing eight people and injuring at least five, police said.

Police said the white sedan was not involved in the street race but accidentally drove into the crowd of about 50 people that had spilled onto the highway to watch two racing cars speed off.

"There were just bodies everywhere; it was horrible," said Crystal Gaines, 27, whose father was among the dead.

Gaines said she grabbed her child but could not help her father, William Gaines Sr., 61.

"He wasn't breathing, he wasn't moving," she said. "His body was in pieces."

Gaines said the car did not have its lights on, but police could not confirm that.

The white sedan hit people standing on the side of Route 210 around 3:40 a.m., Prince George's County Police Cpl. Clinton Copeland said. A tractor-trailer that came by shortly afterward may also have struck someone on the road as it tried to avoid the crash, he said.

"It's probably one of the worst scenes I've seen," Copeland said. "This is a situation that could have been avoided, and it's a very tragic situation."

The victims ranged in age from their 20s to 60s, police said. Seven people were pronounced dead at the scene, and an eighth died later at a hospital.

Hours after the accident on the divided highway in Accokeek, bodies covered in white sheets were scattered along what police were calling a 200-yard crime scene. Some were in the road, while others were on the shoulder.
The sedan came to a rest on an embankment about 150 feet from where the crowd had been. It had a crumpled front and hood, and the roof had partially collapsed.

The driver of the white sedan had been interviewed and did not appear to be seriously hurt, Police Capt. Donald Frick said. Police said a body found in the car was one of the spectators and not a passenger as they had previously reported.

According to police, two cars had lined up for a race on the smooth and relatively flat and straight stretch of highway. They spun their wheels, kicking up smoke, then sped off, Copeland said.

The crowd then moved into the road to watch the cars drive away. The combination of the smoke and the dark morning likely meant the driver of the approaching white sedan could not see the crowd. No charges were pending.

Authorities were looking for the drivers of the two cars involved in the race.

Authorities were working to identify the victims by showing digital photos of them to bystanders who said loved ones had been hurt. John Courtney said after viewing one of the images that his brother, Mark, 33, was among the dead.

"He liked going to the race track, watching races," Courtney said. "It's going to take a toll on my family for a long time."

Investigators had "more questions than answers," Copeland said.

Route 210 has two lanes in each direction and traffic lights about every 150 to 200 yards in Accokeek, about 20 miles south of Washington. In that area, the road is flanked by some businesses but has little traffic in the early hours, Copeland said.

Frick said it's common in the summer for police to deal with reports of motorcycles racing on the highway, which is relatively smooth with long straightaways, but he said they have not had as much of an issue with cars.

rstreet

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 17
That is outside of D.C. Not sure what went on but if I see anything I'll post. There is one member from close to there I think.
robert

rstreet

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 17
I learned a little more about it. There was a large 3 a.m. drag race with about 60 spectators. The cars were lined up and the crowd was on both sides of the road. After the launch the crowd moved into the road behind the launch to see the results. Then comes a F**D Crown Victoria(might have been a "was fuz") and he "might" have been driving without lights. He doesn't see the spectators for supposedly the smoke and crashes into them as they are on the road with their backs to him. You can imagine the results. And to make it worse behind the Crown Victoria is a truck:eek: And he ran into some as he was trying to avoid. The latest I heard was 8 fatals and alot of serious injuries.
robert

Speed

Supporting Member 1
avoidable
"street racing" ?????
stupid

rstreet

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 17
As of this afternoon no one has "snitched" on the racers and the Crown Vic driver has received no charges. No word on the 18 wheel truck driver
robert

Tic's60

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 3
It's sad but after looking at the list of the ones killed I am wondering why someone who's mine and older ages would be standing in a road at 4am

Authorities identified the victims as Otis Williams, 35, of Indian Head; Milton Pinkney, 41, of La Plata; Mark Courtney, 33, of Leonardtown; Daryl Wills, 38, of Clinton; Maycol Lopez, 20, of Gaithersburg; Blaine Briscoe, 49, of La Plata; William Gaines, 61, of Nanjemoy; and Ervin Gardner, 39, of Oxon Hill

I mean no disrespect to the dead or living but at 4am my left nut is still in REM.
So it begs the question: What was being raced? I do not think a mid 40 year old would be out at 4 am to watch a couple of rice burners roll by.:dunno
Now maybe if it was John Milner vs Bob Falfa yah I'd be there:beerbang

Tic's60

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 3
So after digging through this and that I found this
http://www.npr.org/templates/story/story.php?storyId=19120195

Seems this has been going on for some 20 years and the imports and domestics take turns via Friday or Sat night. The big iron was out that night hence the older dudes.
Guess that tradition is over.

Made me remember we had a spot here like that back when I was in HS called Blacks Creek. Lots of money and some big stuff came out at night there. Some was hualed in on trailers. Went once and before I could ever go back a rice burner bike did a burnout going the wrong way and flipped into the bleachers killing one or so people.
Tradition ended that night.

Bottom line we need more race tracks I guess.

walkerheaders

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 6
I hadent given this much thought because (1) it (street drags) happens here all the time. (2) it happens in most every state.
i heard discussion on the radio the other day, it was a pair of 7.90-8.20 et street legal 10.5 tire drag cars. having spent a lifetime making stuff for these guys, i can tell you they are very serious. and they fly. why are 40 year olds out at 4am? who else can afford that kinda cash? i've witnessed and driven in these contests and the betting can pass $7500 bux.
sad that a few had to get killed, i recognize about half those names and bet i recognize the faces of the others. sad indeed. and i do believe racing should be done on the strip.

ROYALOAK62

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 1
What's going on in Maryland

Tic's60,
The problem is in most big cities. Detroit had the same problem about every other year. Last one I read about one car had a blowout and took out 3 parked cars. Police say most often it's "BIG MONEY" changing hands. Side bets beside the one between the racers. Plus they cann't race at the strip as there cars well not meet the standards of the local strip, if their is a local strip close by.

Dave

rstreet

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 17
a bit of an update. The driver that came along and hit most of the spectators doesn't have a drivers license and has some social and moral issues that aren't revelant to the tragidy but they still have no id on the two pro-street race cars and the surviving spectators aren't talking.
But be assured the MD gov't is kicking in.:eek: They are going to post remote camera's in the several racing areas to "ensure that the citizen population is being protected"
Now, with my many years experience in state and county government I have translated this to big brother will be watching and these robo cops will be doing nothing more then giving out remote speeding tickets and lane changes fines w/o signaling because the racers have already moved long before they will install those mega $1,000 cameras that only the state can afford.
robert

rstreet

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 17
There are now manslaughter charges involved with those deaths. It turns out there were several races going on and the crowd had gathered in the highway for the first race. The F**d Crown Vic was part of a 2nd group of racers and was racing and struck the crowd at and estimated 110 MPH with no lights on. Interesting that the Crown Vic driver wasn't licensed to drive either:eek::eek:
It appears that the security system at Beretta Hand Gun Factory caught the second group on tape who had initially said they were on the way home when the crown "appeared" in front of him. The second car's driver was charged with racing but not manslaughter. I still haven't heard anything about the first racers who were long gone!
I am confused about racing a crown vic @ 110. Didn't think they were packing that much power.
robert