What ever happened to? Herman Chapman's 59 Biscayne Jr. Stocker

benchseat4speed

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 7
This is old news, but you may find it interesting. In 1990-91 when I was 2-3 years old, My Dad was involved in an automotive business partnership called Rocket Service in Englewood, CO with another guy named Randy. The business was new at the time, and they were looking to build an unmistakeable car to carry the name of the business.

Randy knew Herman Chapman, who lived near Sedalia, CO at the time, a few miles south of Englewood. When Herman decided to sell his '59 in 1990, he offered it to Randy first because he knew Randy had plans to keep racing it.

My Dad said it was ready to race as is was. Still had Herman's stock class 348 in it with a homemade single plane intake for small port cylinder heads, iron powerglide, and a 4.88 posi. Exactly as Herman had raced it last. My Dad drove it around the shop with open headers, and he said it ran really strong even with a powerglide. That only lasted a day or so I bet, as they tore it down for the next phase right away.

In short time the X-frame was gone, and a new tube chassis was built for it. Dunno what class (if any) they were shooting for when they built it, but I do know they wanted to keep the W motor in it, and they were on a tight budget. Thus, most of Herman's Jr. Stock 348 was used. They put a 409 crank in it, good rods and pistons, and thats it. The block, 348 heads, (379's?) and solid flat tappet cam were all leftovers from the Jr. Stock engine. They sourced a manifold, 6-71 GMC, and the drive from somewhere, and they bought a used 4 port Hilborn and pump from Tak's automotive, owned/operated by a guy who campaigned a Fiat altered here in CO. Tak also set up the pump/injector for them. Tak, knowing their combination, told them it would break 9's, even a mile above sea level. My Dad and Randy thought he was full of it!

My Dad said when they fired that blown/injected 380 for the first time, it was in the shop with weed burners on alcohol. He said it was the coolest sound he's ever heard. The first time out at Bandimere here in Denver, the car went 9.60 @ 140 with Fred Kennedy at the wheel. The car was still in primer at this point, with no lettering. Randy lost interest in the '59 soon after it was completed, and wanted to sell it. My dad wanted to paint it black and letter it with the business name, and use it to promote the business. Would've been fantastic advertising for a speed shop back then, in a sea of bracket class chevelle's and camaro's.

Fred Kennedy bought the car soon after. Randy continued Rocket Service, and my Dad pursued the (non automotive) career he still has today. My Dad took the pics below the day they picked the car up from Herman, along with the subsequent build pics. I found these in a file cabinet along with the magazine and scanned em. The words above are from my Dad as I heard em. Thats Herman in the picture below.
1.jpg

2.jpg

3.jpg

4.jpg

5.jpg

6.jpg

7.jpg

8.jpg

9.jpg

10.jpg

11.jpg

12.jpg

14.jpg

13.jpg

Last edited:

61belairbubbletop

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 2
Thanks, for sharing that ! That car is bad to the bone ! I'd love to see it up close, & see / hear it go down the track.
I've seen the you-tube video before, and wondered what the history was on the car. Very interesting story.
Very cool. I hope that car exists for a very long time.
348 heads ? !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
Must be 1147's
Wow. Incredible.

jim_ss409

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 5
That's a great story. :deal
I'll never forget the first time I saw that car run.
It was at the 2004 convention and several of us headed to Kansas City International Raceway for the Wednesday night test and tune.
The normal staging lanes were off to one side, the same as most tracks and the typical crowd of street cars was lined up there, but they also had another gate that allowed cars to enter the track from directly behind the burnout box.
So all of a sudden I hear the loudest cars I'd ever heard start up and pull up through that gate. It was Fred Kennedy's Mustard III and Allen George's Bluescreamer pulling into the burnout box.
When they launched, the Mustard III car pulled the longest wheelie I'd ever seen. I though it would come back to earth but it just stayed up. Fred had to lift the throttle to get it to come back down. It was an amazing site to watch! :beer
Apparently, huge wheelies weren't a problem in the higher altitude of Denver Colorado but the car was making more power at Kansas City.

I really hope Fred still has that car and brings it to next year's convention. :pray

benchseat4speed

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 7
Thanks, for sharing that ! That car is bad to the bone ! I'd love to see it up close, & see / hear it go down the track.
I've seen the you-tube video before, and wondered what the history was on the car. Very interesting story.
Very cool. I hope that car exists for a very long time.
348 heads ? !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
Must be 1147's
Wow. Incredible.

61belair, you betcha. Thats a bitchin 61 you got.

That's a great story. :deal
I'll never forget the first time I saw that car run.
It was at the 2004 convention and several of us headed to Kansas City International Raceway for the Wednesday night test and tune.
The normal staging lanes were off to one side, the same as most tracks and the typical crowd of street cars was lined up there, but they also had another gate that allowed cars to enter the track from directly behind the burnout box.
So all of a sudden I hear the loudest cars I'd ever heard start up and pull up through that gate. It was Fred Kennedy's Mustard III and Allen George's Bluescreamer pulling into the burnout box.
When they launched, the Mustard III car pulled the longest wheelie I'd ever seen. I though it would come back to earth but it just stayed up. Fred had to lift the throttle to get it to come back down. It was an amazing site to watch! :beer
Apparently, huge wheelies weren't a problem in the higher altitude of Denver Colorado but the car was making more power at Kansas City.

I really hope Fred still has that car and brings it to next year's convention. :pray

Jim, Thanks a lot for the video clip, first time i've ever seen/heard that car run. Good story too, I think KCIR is closed now?? I'm pretty damn sure this is Herman in the mid 70's. No decals/letters, but Keystones on the front, 7" slicks, but that looks like a CA plate on the front, maybe Herman lived in Cal??
195920Chevy2020Jr20Stocker_zps062a881a.jpg

Edd

In July 1976 Popular Hot Rodding did an article on a Colorado Stock Eliminator guy named Herman Chapman. His 59 ran a 348 with that intake, 1x4 348.
Don't have the complete article in front of me but I think you guys nailed it. He ran a WCFB, which is what it came with. Bob

Anyone have any current info on Herman Chapman? Still alive? Contact Info?

Greg Reimer

Well Known Member
This white 59 isn't the same car. It belonged to Tony Janes of Whittier,Calif. That picture was taken by Doug Marion at Orange County Raceway in the late '70's. Tony did a car feature on it and it came out in aSuper Chevy magazine in 1976-1980, the article is called Tony's Terror. It was a 283 car at the time.I'll see Tony this Sunday at Christmas, I'll see if he knows where it went. Go through all your Super Chevy's of that vintage and see if you can find it.Super Stock and Drag Illustrated had a story on the yellow 59 in the July 1976 issue,something about the article being entitled,"Building a Better Boat Anchor".