vin and cowl tag decoding 1961 impala

61 tripps

Well Known Member
Hi, Vin # is 11837L149863 and the cowl tag is STYLE 61 - 1837 BODYVN15995. Please tell me everything is ok. Thanks, Larry

61 tripps

Well Known Member
Dan, My concern is if the Vin # matches the cowl tag. Shouldn't there be an L In the cowl tag or no? Thanks, Larry

tripower

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 2
No the cowl tag will not have the L. In the upper left hand corner of the cowl tag there will be a number and a letter stamped that is the build date. Example 2D would be 2=February D=4th week.

tripower

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 2
Larry, Go to the sit map and then to 58-65 cars and look at the interior trim code or paint code. This will show a diagram of the cowl tag.

Brian Thompson

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 2
The cowl tag will have the build plant before the body number. Your cowl tag states VN which would be Van Nuys. I believe Van Nuys built bodies were for Los Angeles built cars. Cecil should chime in here soon and correct me if I am wrong.

oldskydog

Well Seasoned Member
Supporting Member 10
The cowl tag will have the build plant before the body number. Your cowl tag states VN which would be Van Nuys. I believe Van Nuys built bodies were for Los Angeles built cars. Cecil should chime in here soon and correct me if I am wrong.

:deal:deal:deal

61 tripps

Well Known Member
Yes, Van Nuys made bodys for LA plant. A little worried at first ( documentation is important), but you made my day. Now I can put that aside and get dirty. Thanks, Larry