torque wrench in inch pounds

bobs409

Administrator
I'd like to adjust the bands on a powerglide and the instructions say to tighten the nut to 70 inch lbs, then back off 4 turns.

Problem is, I don't have a torque wrench for inch lbs and can't seem to find one that goes that low. (found one at Autozone but goes from 110-220 inch lbs)

Can someone give me an idea of how tight 70 inch lbs is? Is it just lightly snug?

Thanks,

Bob

Fathead Racing

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 7
" lbs?

Bob, I'm going to stick my neck out here!If you were to take a 3/8" drive ratchet and one of those fish scales, you know the ones with the hook on the end that reads in lbs. Hook the scale in the hole at the end of the ratchet and pull the amount of inch lbs divided by the legnth of the ratchet handle. You know, if the handle is 4" long you would divide 70X4=17.5" lbs. You know thats all a tourqe wrench is. If you hung a 1 lb weight off a 1 foot flex handle that would be 1 ft lb at the drive end of the handle! I think that's the way it works.:dunno

dq409

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 3
Bob,,, find the correct torq wrench !!! Leave the fishing to Fatride !!!:roll :stooges :roll

wrench

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 15
torque wrench

Thanks models. Problem now is that my torque wrench only goes down to 25 ft lbs. :cuss

You need a beam type torque wrench, not the click type. Those start at zero on the scale. KD Tools has them - item 2955. Most guys have gone to the click type torque wrench. There are others that can do the job. Snap on sells the dial type.

Perhaps one of the Auto Zones would have one on the loaner program.

jester

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 5
I alway thought that there were 12" lbs to 1 ft. lbs. Have I been wrong all these years?

MRHP

Supporting Member 1
yes

Twelve inch pounds does equal one foot pound. Inch pounds is just a more accurate measurement at such a small amount of torque. And yes, get a dial or beam style torque wrench.:D

bobs409

Administrator
I'll see if I can find one of them then.

Thanks,

Bob

P.S. I wonder how accurate fatrides idea would be? :p Maybe I'll have to put it to the test. :brow

Dond409

Supporting Member 1
Sears

Bob
Go to a Sears Hardware or a regular Sears store and get a Craftsman beam style torque wrench. I have one. Bought many years ago.

jester

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 5
MRHP said:
Twelve inch pounds does equal one foot pound. Inch pounds is just a more accurate measurement at such a small amount of torque. And yes, get a dial or beam style torque wrench.:D
Well, look at that . Even a broken clock is right twice a day.:roll :roll :roll

Fathead Racing

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 7
Just thinking out loud!

dq409 said:
Bob,,, find the correct torq wrench !!! Leave the fishing to Fatride !!!:roll :stooges :roll

I told you I'd be sticking my neck out Bob:roll But really, if I had to torque something RIGHT NOW, and didn't have a torque wrench I still think that would work if you had the conversion from Ft. lbs to Inch lbs correct.:dunno

bobs409

Administrator
Well, I used Fatrides suggestion, worked good enough for me. (I don't think it's all that "critcal" anyway) Turns out, it made no improvement anyway, car still is lazy shifting into 2nd. :cry :grumble:

Guess a trans rebuild is in my future. Now, I have to decide if I want to do it myself or farm it out.

BTW, I did check Sears but the only torque wrench in inch pounds was $75 dollars! :eek:

bobs409

Administrator
I didn't replace it but was thinking of seeing if it was the adjustable kind and messing with that.

Can a bad modulator cause the lazy 1-2 shift? :dunno

No409

Supporting Member 1
i got a digital torque wrench from Snap-on. thing is cool, cause it will do foot lbs, inch lbs, and newton meters . it was like 250$. only prob it if you use it a lot, the batterys wear out pretty quickly

bobs409

Administrator
Thanks Tom but I buy whole cars for that kind of money! :D

I don't use torque wrenches enough to justify spending that much. I think I paid around $50 for the one I have. It gets used twice a year if that. :p

No409

Supporting Member 1
i use them almost every day, so i could justify the cost, vs. 3 differend torque wrenches, espically since im seeing a lot of newton meter stuff, on foreign cars