Steering wheel restoration...how did it go for you? Crack again?

bobs409

Administrator
I just bought a really decent steering wheel for my 66 Chevelle but it has a few hairline cracks. I have to paint it as it's fawn color and I need black but I can't decide if I should bother fixing the cracks or not.

After recently dealing with the 69-72 style that is made of some type of plastic resin (crap!), I'm not too eager to waste my time fixing these only to have them re-crack again next time the weather changes! :bang

The 67 (or is it 66?) and older wheels are made of a different material and I have never tried to fix one. These are made of a black substance and are painted from the factory.

Would like to hear the success rate for cracking again if anyone has restored/repaired this style. I have PC-7 I could use. (didn't work on the other type)

62impala409

Supporting Member 1
Bob. I repaired some small cracks and repainted the wheel in my 62 Impala (black material) using PC7 about 20 years ago. Still no cracks. My wife has a '65 Buick Skylark that has the slippery plastic steering wheel material that is extremely hard to repair. NOTHING that I have tried will stick to it very well. This type of wheel has the color right in the plastic. I was able get some Bondo in the cracks and paint it but it is far from showtime. Leo

jdk971

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 6
never done any, but i have heard PC7 used in many a cracked wheel. jim

jdk971

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 6
either jb or pc7 should work and stay, the difference would be ease of sanding. i know nothing about that. jim

64ss409

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 9
The wheel on my 71 K10 cracked about 20 years ago. That crack is now 1/4 inch wide. I don't know of any product that would be a permanent fix on a wheel that keeps shrinking. :dunno

real61ss

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 8
Bob,
I've used JB Weld on several steering wheels and hadn't had any problems. Just make sure you use a good quality automotive 2 stage paint on the wheel or you'll have problems when the sun shines thru the windshield.

bjburnout

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 5
Bob,
I've used JB Weld on several steering wheels and hadn't had any problems. Just make sure you use a good quality automotive 2 stage paint on the wheel or you'll have problems when the sun shines thru the windshield.
Hey Tommy
I just painted a 63 Belair steering wheel and am wondering about the paint wearing off......:scratch
Have you ever used a clear - like Eastwood Diamond Clear - the wheel looks great but it's
not back in service yet...........:rub

:cheers
bj

real61ss

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 8
BJ,
I use base coat then regular 2 stage automotive clear on the steering wheels that I've repaired, never had a problem. I usually use Sikkons or PPG paints. I don't know about Eastwood stuff. it isn't a spray can is it?
Be thankful that the Chevrolets have painted steering wheels....my '61 Pontiac has the optional clear steering wheel, I just had one recast for it to the tune of 1400 dollars but damn, it's pretty!!!

Tom Kochtanek

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 13
I did some amateur repair on a spare 1962 Belair steering wheel using the POR products to fill the small cracks. Sanded easily. I cut some corners and shot it with the interior red from a rattle can made up locally, then cleared it with an Eastwood satin for paint (not for metal, that is a different Eastwood clear product that I've used on aluminum aftermarket intakes). I put about 2-3 coats of base, then 3-4 of the clear. Looks good after two years, and it does sit outside some of the time.

Bob, I think I sent you a can or two of that clear some years back, didn't I?

Tommy, I know what you mean about those 1961 Pontiac steering wheels, they are very desirable. My original is totally shot (several inches have cracked off in several places) but I have a pristine replacement :). Looks like my steering wheel might be worth more than the vehicle itself :) :) :).

Cheers!
TomK

PAINTJOHN1

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 2
Hi there,when I restored my 64 Impala back in the early to mid 2000's,I did do the steering wheel.The wheel had the typical small cracks toward the center and had 1-2 small cracks in the circular area of the wheel..I enlarged the cracks and more or less made then cut out like the top part of the letter "Y".Once that was done ,I sanded and scuffed the wheel really good,wiped it down with a good wax and grease,then used a 2 part epoxy mix.Let the wheel set up,sanded it well and painted with three coats of base coat,then cleared it with 3 coats of clear.I believe I used Sherwin Williams base coat and Dupont Clearcoat. Its been 7-8 years ,still no cracks or scuffs.:brow

Last edited:

Geary Trussell

Well Known Member
I think the key to a good repair is to drill a small hole at the beginning and ending of the crack. This will aid in eliminating the propagation of the crack.