Ross Pistons - Who carries?

303Radar

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 2
I am thinking about using the Ross Forged Al pistons for my 348 rebuild. I was hoping to order them as 30 over and 9.5:1. However, the sites I've checked out, don't show the compression ratio as an option.
Is this a detail to complete at order time or is one source better than another?
Thanks!

buildit

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 8
One thing about dealing with Ross (or any piston maker) directly is, you can order your pistons as a 4.350" bore size (.038" over), instead of .030", and you have a much better selection of ring types. You're not stuck with the goofy 4.342 factory oversize. And, you can spec whatever CR you want. Also, any one can get Comp Cam's Master Lobe catalogue, pick the lobe spec for intake and exhaust, and lobe separation angle, and order your own custom ground cam. You don't have to go through a middleman if you don't want to. Sorry to hear that Pat left. He was a sharp guy, and told great stories.

303Radar

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 2
Thanks everyone for the info. It seems my best bet is for me to pass along the supplier info to my engine builder and let him make the call. I'd hate to micro-manage a POS build, especially since I don't know a lot of specifics (how increased stroke affects arm length, deck or don't deck the block, etc).

yellow wagon

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 2
If u are spending $750 on Ross pistons is spend a little more and get Diamond Racing!! Mine are like art!

models916

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 7
Isn't Diamond using Aubry's piston top design? Must be some sort of advantage in going that way.

Carmine

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 10
I dealt directly with Ross when I ordered my pistons for the bored/stroked 348. I got the numbers I needed from the machine shop and passed them along to Ross. Not cheap. I believe a set of 8 was $800.00. Ouch.

62impala409

Supporting Member 1
Carmine, Those $800 forged pistons are money well spent. The first time around I used the cheaper cast pistons. When I freshened up my motor, I found that 7 of the 8 cast pistons had cracked skirts. :eek I must have leaned on it a little harder than I thought I was.:hideLeo

Don Jacks

Well Seasoned Member
Supporting Member 3
IMO,IT'S not worth building if youre not going to go forged.These engines are too hard to come by,just to lose due to cheap parts.Penny wise,pound foolish,but that's just me.

Carmine

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 10
Carmine, Those $800 forged pistons are money well spent. The first time around I used the cheaper cast pistons. When I freshened up my motor, I found that 7 of the 8 cast pistons had cracked skirts. :eek I must have leaned on it a little harder than I thought I was.:hideLeo

I really didn't want to spend that much, but I don't think I had much of a choice. The machinist told me what we were going to do and that the pistons would be custom, therefore expensive. He suggested Ross and the rest is history as they say. No regrets. The motor does run nice but I'm in no rush to do it again anytime soon.

yup, just off the shelf:

abruneau409pistons425comp145topside700b90.jpg

ok... maybe not;)

409, .068" over.
4.25" stroke / 6.385" rod
14.5:1
2.20" deep valve pocket
"button" pin retainers
Dykes rings
Gas ported
FULLY lightened... 590 grams

A couple years ago, a guy ordered these from me. I emailed the specs to Pat at Ross Pistons.
I'll never forget the very first thing Pat said to me when he picked up the phone the next day.

"I HATE yoooooo"

damn, did I laugh:laugh