How much does a Muncie weigh?

Tic's60

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 3
Trying to find out for a possible M22 buy. Some say 70lbs other 80lbs dry without bell housing.
I swear I bought one of those UPS trucks this year :eek:

bobs409

Administrator
Your not kidding with UPS!!! It's getting down right ridiculous.

I try to avoid UPS whenever possible.

BTW, I'd love to have an M-22 for my 66 Chevelle/409 project. Have any extras? :D

Tic's60

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 3
I know a guy next door to me who just bought SIX of them for 300.00ea! I will dig around and see what I can find and who to call.

I want the M22 whine!! Dam Two Lane Blacktop got this buzz going in my ears!

bobs409

Administrator
That's exactly where I got the itch from, that dang movie! LOL :D I've just gotta have some of those straight cut gears to listen to.

Ya know, I haven't seen that movie for a while. Time to pop that in the old VCR soon. ;)

jester

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 5
M-22

If you have a m-21 case, there is an outfit in Syracuse, NY that will sell you the complete set of gears To convert your m-21 to a rock crusher for about $800.00 Some of the parts for the Muncies have been discontinued. Most of the gears you will find today are Italian made. Good gears, but not produced in this country.

dq409

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 3
I dated a girl from Muncie once and MAN was she huge !!!

Don`t know what she weighed though.......

Couldn`t find a scale that would hold her,,, :roll :D

SteveD409

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 2
dq409 said:
I dated a girl from Muncie once and MAN was she huge !!!

Don`t know what she weighed though.......

I'm live in Muncie and I think I know that girl... :love

SteveD

Tic's60

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 3
LMAO!

I hope I do not have to ship her! :eek:

I do however need to ship a Muncie and need a #.

Thanks

bobs409

Administrator
Tic (don't know your real name) :D

If you have a general idea of the weight and size, why not go to the UPS website and punch in a few different guesses to see what the charges would be. Sometimes, a few pounds does not matter once your at a certain point. I would put in my lightest guess and my heaviest guess (add a few pounds extra for good measure) and see what the charges are to get an idea.

One nice thing is you don't have to worry about over size charges. (that is in length, width, etc.) They really rock ya when you get into oversize packages!!! Not sure about weight limits but their website will tell that.

Good luck and let us know the final weight for future references. (for my own M22 purchase hopefully!!!) :D

Gus68

Well Known Member
Muncie

Hey guys!!! I weighed one dry and no bellhousing, just the trans, about 65 lbs on my old bathroom scale. By the way, if any of you guys need muncie, T-10 or saginaw parts, I can usually get you what you need. I'm not a business by any means, I just like messing with them in my spare time for myself and my freinds.

Tic's60

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 3
Might need to talk to you<G> The Mucie I was looking at was an M20 not a M22. ratz!!
For those that are needing a quick way to identify a Muncie the input shaft on the M20 has two grooves machined on it, the M21 one groove and the M22 no grooves. The M21/22 have the same basic insides but the M22 has almost straight cut gears, hence the beatiful noise, and are extreme duty. Thats a basic only informational there tons more of info on them.

Phil Reed

Well Seasoned Member
Supporting Member 10
Muncie

SteveD409:

Do you know Jeff Kirkpatrick? Known Jeff for years and was at his house maybe 10 years ago. At that time, he was real heavy into the Jr. dragsters with his boys. Anyway, tried to contact him about the convention and my letter was returned.

Hope you might know how to get in touch with him for me.

Thanks

Gus68

Well Known Member
Muncies

Hey guys!!! You are Kind of right about your input shaft rings, that is true to a point (roughly about 68) you also have to look at the countershaft pin, some have a 1 in. shaft and some have a 7/8 in shaft, if you have an EARLY muncie with NO groves on the input and a 1 in pin then chances are that its a M22 (I said CHANCES ARE). Right now I am rebuilding a muncie with no grooves on the input and a 1 in pin but it is a 68 M20 you also have to look up the date codes, and figure the gear ratios, an M20 is considered a wide ratio, an M21 is a close ratio and an M22 has the same ratio as an M21. Also the gear teath in an M22 are STRAIGHTER cut than the others but still at an angle. You have to be careful, alot of people say they have a "Rock Crusher" or an M22 but once you take a look at it its usually NOT. I myself have mever seen an M22 in real life just in books but I have seen LOTS of M20s and M21s. Just my words of wisdom (for what ever thats worth) :roll

Gus68

Well Known Member
Muncie

Hey I should HIGHLY recomend you check out www.dandltransmission.com I have delt with this guy for about 8 years now and he is great!!! He knows his stuff!!! his websight if chock full of awsome info on muncies, T-10s, and saginaws. Check him out or call him. tell him Aron from MN. sent ya!!

SteveD409

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 2
Phil,
I'm in Florida checking on some property right now, but when I return to Muncie (late next week)I will contact Jeff and let him know you're trying to get with him. If he's not where he used to live I know his son works as a salesman with Sam Pierce and I will contact him via that route.

SteveD