Bayer Z-11

409Kid

Well Known Member
Saturday I talked with Nathan Gerolamy (Horsepower by Gerolamy) who is working on my heads. After blasting the heads in preparation for mag checking I was informed that the -.050 head has been really hurt. Beyond the massive face cut that was done by Excels Weld in Baldwin Park back in the 1960’s there has been considerable welding done on the topside and in several of the ports. This head had also been glyptol’d which was making it difficult to check with the powder they use. He ordered some yellow powder to aid in visualizing any possible issues. The powder has arrived and I’ll know something more by days end. We had also talked about pressure testing. Once he is done with the initial inspection I’ll bring a head back home and build a plate for the pressure check. This will come in handy for future inspections on my 690’s

Im filled with trepidation that this head will not be salvageable. The wait is killing me fearing that I may be beating a dead horse. I was then reminded that these heads were on a running engine at the time it was taken apart and so I’m keeping fingers crossed that it can be saved.

Already figuring on custom thickness head gaskets and/or piston mods done to the fly cuts to accommodate the additional valve clearance needed on four pistons. Time to prepare to sharpen my math skills…

boxerdog

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 5
Gerolamy Co. did some work on my Harley heads back in the 80s (I think) and they also used to do quality porting work on some circle track engines at one time. Probably a Grandpa or something???

409Kid

Well Known Member
Barry Gerolamy retired and closed the BC Gerolamy quite a long time ago. He built a set of Ironhead Sporty heads for me with dual plugs, XR 1000 valves big springs and did some fantastic port work. They became the prototypes for future sporty performance heads and were featured in advertising in Iron Horse and Hot Bike magazines in the ‘90s. Great guy and shop. Nathan branched out and still does Harley heads but also does automotive race head work. Very knowledgeable.

409Kid

Well Known Member
Called Delta Cams today to get an update on the “mystery cam”.

This is what they said.
Flat Tappet Experimental “Cheater Cam”.
.556 lobe lift
290° duration
104° lobe separation
I forgot the lift @ 50°. It’ll be on the cam card.
They said the valve lash settings was likely ~.035-.040

It probably won’t idle below 2000 rpm which has already been confirmed when it was previously in a Z-11 motor
Launch rpm likely about 6000rpm

Said it’ll be easy on valve train on the front side but is certainly a honkin’ big cam on the backside.

Cam is serviceable as is. I’m having them send down a set of grooved lifters for extra lobe oiling and break-in lube. I may never use this but it would be interesting to hear it run.