605 power steering

DonSSDD

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 2
My 63 (would be the same as the 63 Chevy) has 605 PS, what cars were they originally installed on?

I need a ragjoint, what part would I look for?

Don

DonSSDD

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 2
Mine looks like they used the stock original shaft and shortened it and used a stock rag joint, is that what this looks like to you? Or something someone welded together?

Can you buy a stock original one if that is what I need?

I guess I'll see what has been done when I take it apart. You can see on the pin how far it is sliding forward.

411751070.jpg

1958 delivery

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 2
I have a couple "new" ones but the bolt is missing, you would need to reuse yours as they are a special bolt. I use to sell them years ago when I made 605 conversion boxes. The rag joint has about 3.5" tube on the end for attaching to your original shaft. I would like to post a pic but I left my camera at work, I have a pic on my phone but do not know how to post pic from a phone.
Is that a 605 in your pic?

DonSSDD

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 2
That is a 605 in my pic, at least it has a "605" cast into the top of it.

Free is good, I'll send you a PM with my address Mike.

Thanks very much, you are a scholar and a gentleman.

Don

1958 delivery

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 2
Here's the 605 rag joint. We use to sell it for the 58-64 cars, your original shaft should slip into the tube on the joint and you can drill and pin or weld it at the top edge. The tube is 3/4" ID about 3"- 3.5" long. The spline is correct for a 605 as these came off the same car when the core box was removed. As I mentioned I'm missing the bolt to tighten but that should not be a problem. Let me know that this will work for you.009.JPG 010.JPG

DonSSDD

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 2
So Mike, I got the free one, is the old one just a pressure fit on the shaft. It just comes off the end of the steering shaft with a BFH?

Don

1958 delivery

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 2
Not sure what you're asking. The 59-64 orig shaft should fit into the tube, then you drill a hole and pin it or some weld it. You can cut the tube shorter if needed. That rag joint came from the 605 donor car, the tube was much longer as it originally was the cars steering shaft and was cut off to remove. On 55-57 cars that tube is cut all the way off at the rag joint and a double D shaft fits into it.

DonSSDD

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 2
I was asking if the original rag joint was a press fit, I banged on it a bit and it didn't move. Got a bigger hammer and got apart and back together.

The car is what I would call "twitchy" on corners, I thought the rag joint would fix that. It didn't. All the steering parts are good, ball joints, tie rods, etc. but it is jerky when cornering. I wondered if the pump had too much pressure, would that cause this?

I prefer the original PS or even manual steering to this setup.

Don