1962 SS tach

Colin

what is being done to these tach to get them to work I'm in Winnipeg Canada . The local Tach repair will not even try the upgrade I even gave them the how to do it instructions, or is there a battery that will work.

Carmine

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 10
Willamson's Instruments - 479-3692551 -www.williamsons.com

W Head

59 Impala 409-2,4s
Excellent choice. I had my '62 tach and sending unit fixed by them. Sent them both parts for calibration. Worked great with modern internals. No more battery. I believe it's a lifetime warranty also. Not really sure of the price, but worth it to me, Carmine.

62_Conv_2-4s

Well Known Member
I use AA battery's in a stock EB-9A sending unit. Reading is high by only 100 rpm or so. Good enough for a driver or show car. For racing I would use a newer tach. anyway.

Reactions: 327

pvs409

Well Known Member
Supporting Member 11
I use my converted Sun tach and sender without batteries to race and on the street.
Williamsons who does the conversions that are warrantied for life, - told me that the 1.5 volt batteries (compared to the original 1.35 volt batteries ) will run down and read incorrectly all the time - not even close to correct.
Paul

62_Conv_2-4s

Well Known Member
I use my converted Sun tach and sender without batteries to race and on the street.
Williamsons who does the conversions that are warrantied for life, - told me that the 1.5 volt batteries (compared to the original 1.35 volt batteries ) will run down and read incorrectly all the time - not even close to correct.
Paul
Not correct I have been using 1.5v battery's for years with out issue. They last 4-5 seasons no problem. He just want to sell more conversions.

Colin

Thank you all My tach came from a local guy how bought a 1962 Buick 2 door new and than went to the Chevy dealer and bought the tach. In 1966 he traded in the Buick but kept the tach, fast forward to 1998 he's clearing his house and advertised the tach and transmitter in the local buy and sell paper I paid 25 bucks no wiring working when removed, but he did give me a sun tach paper with the wiring diagram. I will test it with aa batteries and see if it works

Colin

Well went to the dollar store and bought cheep AA batteries to my surprise they test at 1.4 volts set the unit up on a 8 cylinder engine and it works perfectly. another thing done